doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Cashmores - 04/08/24 02:05 AM
We were discussing Cashmores a little while back on another thread. AS a result, eeb sent me some photos that I will post here. He has a beautiful gun, the likes of which I've never seen. I particularly love the grip shape and checkering and the very low, light hammers that are similar to the hammers on my very plain Cashmo hammer gun. eeb's gun, however, is about as elegant as a hammer gun can be in my opinion. It's perfect.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ed good Re: Cashmores - 04/08/24 11:12 AM
agreed...a wonderful gun...
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmores - 04/08/24 08:13 PM
Short stuff wink Cashmore Pigeon Gun

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Cashmores - 04/09/24 01:26 AM
What a beautiful gun.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Cashmores - 04/09/24 03:08 PM
Outstanding!
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Cashmores - 04/09/24 03:09 PM
Is that original wood? Classy
Posted By: Rick W Re: Cashmores - 04/09/24 08:57 PM
Very nice…
There are many quality pieces from lesser known makers. It’s what makes learning fun.
Many know this and unfortunately, many do not..
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Cashmores - 04/09/24 10:57 PM
Beauty!
Posted By: eeb Re: Cashmores - 04/10/24 12:35 AM
Thank you for your comments and also to Brent for posting pictures. Yes, the wood is original but it needed work and a refinish. The stock had been cut, and repaired, in several places to adjust for pitch and LOP over the years. The butt had also been hollowed out to push the balance way forward. It is balanced now at the hinge pin and weighs 8 lbs 2oz. It sported a nasty recoil pad. The gun is dated roughly 1894. The barrels are 30” with flat filed rib and are Whitworth steel. I’m positive it’s a WR action with hidden third fastener. Chokes are M/F and bores mic at .732”. They were proofed at .729”, so the barrels had not been monkeyed with. Chambers are 3”, as engraved on the reinforced forend loop. I sent the gun to Kirt Kimsey in Georgia and he did a fantastic job of repair and refinish. His checkering work is of a high level. The face on the right hammer was so caved in from use that it would sometimes would not drive the firing pin sufficient to strike the primer. The hammers were sent off to be rewelded at their face good as new. It’s a great shooter on the clays course and dive field. Its a delight to own.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Cashmores - 04/10/24 01:47 PM
The Cashmore Nitro, victorious gun model in the Great American Handicap just prior to the 20th century. About as highly finished as a gun can be.

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmores - 04/10/24 02:29 PM
Was hoping you would post Daryl smile
Tom Marshall won the GAH at Live Birds in 1897 and again 1899 - the only 2 time winner in the history of the GAH at Live Birds or at Targets

On the line at the 1899 GAH with his Cashmore

I believe the gun is on left next to the sheep, and his presentation gun on the right

At the ATA HOF

Presentation gun courtesy of David Trevallion

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Cashmores - 04/11/24 05:58 PM
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/cashmore-s-trap-gun

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/lindner-on-cashmore

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=137719
Posted By: eeb Re: Cashmores - 04/11/24 09:24 PM
When Diggory published that Cashmore article on his website I contacted him and sent him pictures of the hammergun. He gave me the address of a Cashmore collector he knows in OZ. Because the guy does not have a computer or cell phone I wrote him a letter describing my gun, along with a few pictures. A few months later I received in the mail a large packet of pictures and a lengthy letter from this guy talking about his Cashmores. He has several of the Nitro models with the external bolting system. Great guy who actively collects Cashmore guns, that are, apparently, fairly easy to come by Down Under.

At the time I spoke with Diggory he had just sold a 32” 20 gauge Cashmore hammergun he had bought at auction several years prior. He said he thought it may have been made as a pigeon gun, but he never shot it that well so down the road it went to someone who wanted it more than he.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com