doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Geno Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 09:16 PM
Any links to places to find out more about this swedish semi-auto?
Serial number 5527, any ideas about year?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 09:44 PM
It's a rare bird, Geno. Butler gives it a couple pages in his "The American Shotgun", not because it was American but it seems he wanted to discuss all action types.

The US patent is 954,546 issued to C.A.T. Sjogren on April 12, 1910.

Inertia operated gun. Made in Sweden, but Butler specualtes that many may actually have been made in Denmark. My guess is that production was confined to the 19-teens.

Ingenious and way ahead of it's time. I would very much enjoy the opportunity to examine one.
Posted By: reb87 Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 10:18 PM
They are kind of cool. I havent shot one yet but the bolt moving back and forth might be a little distracting.
Ross

Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 10:49 PM
It was designed to help you miss the bird.
Posted By: cloffe Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 11:00 PM
According to an article in Vapentidningen no. 7 2000 by Jens E. Perto

Carl Axel Theodor Sjögren had three Swedish patents from 1900, 1903 and 1905 linked to the gun. A Swedish trader called A. Karlsson ordered 5000 guns from Töjhusafdelningen och Haandvaabenverksäderna in Copenhagen Denmark in August 24 1907. Only 12-bore guns with 70-centimeter 3/4 choke barrels were made, but an extra 500 60-centimeter long barrels with cylinder choke were also made. The last gun were manufactured in 1909. Serial numbers from 1001 to 6000.

Weight 3.3 kg.
Length: 123 centimeters, only one stock lentgth were made but you could order it with butt plates in several dimensions.
Barrels made from Special Steel from Fagersta Bruk Sweden.

In a W.J. Jeffery catalog from 1912 it sold for £12. (A Browning automatic was £9)
Posted By: Geno Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 11:15 PM
Thank's, cloffe. Short and clear.
Posted By: NiklasP Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/10/07 11:52 PM
Hej Cloffe!

My grasp of Danish is limited but, Töjhusafdelningen just does not sound like a place that sells guns. What kind of store was Töjhusafdelningen och Haandvaabenverkstäderna?

FYI, Simpson, Ltd in Galesburg, IL, USA has a Sjögren or two for sale, on consignment from gun dealer in Sweden.

Tack så mycket,
Niklas
Posted By: cloffe Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/11/07 12:08 AM
My Danish is not that good either, but I believe that "Töjhusafdelningen och Haandvaabenverksäderna" was a major Danish manufacturer of guns and rifles.

I think that "Töjhusafdelningen" means the department that handles weapons, at least thats what we call it (tyghus) in the Swedish military. "Haandvaabensverkstäderna" means hand weapons workshops.
Posted By: NiklasP Re: Sjögren - The wonder from Sweeden - 12/11/07 12:56 AM
Thanks Cloffe,

Never associated Danish "töj" with Swedish "tyg", as in "tyghus" or "verktyg", or "tygmaterial", mm. Always understood Danish "töj" as cloth, etc., but then Swedish "tyg" has two basic meanings, cloth and tool, so why not Danish "töj" have same two. Danish often leaves me not understanding lots of things......

Niklas
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com