doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LLemke Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/01/08 08:00 PM
I am right now on a mission to find out why some loads work in a 20 ga. and many do not. I was informed recently, that slower burning powders do not work as efficiently as faster burning does. That has also been my experience.

The question really comes down to this. Many of the choke tubes we get today, are all tapered. Even in my various gauges, this seems to be the norm. Even with Briley extended, the parallel is extremely short. Would longer parallels, in your opinon, help stabilize the shot/wad, even with slower burning powders. I do know the tapered chokes work well with nickel plated shot, but with lead the patterns get blown.

I am planning on calling Brileys next week to seek out their opinion. Yes, if shooting is critical, I will go up in gauges.

I do know there are centuries of experience here and would like to hear what you have to say.

Lenard
Posted By: LeeS Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/01/08 08:57 PM
Lenard,

I remember a review comparing custom thinwall chokes and resulting patterns that included both Briley and Teague.

Tests were with factory brands of target ammo on target guns.
As I remember Teague tends to make their chokes, at least the custom thinwalls, with a more parallel final section than typical american companies like Briley.

The resulitng patterns that they got showed that the teague chokes would give a more uniform pattern (little or no "sweet spot") where the Brileys would give an excllent pattern but with a more concentrated central sweet spot. Their conclusion was that both were excellent products of equivelent quality but with different approaches to the design giving different results.

The comment was made that this difference in design was likely due to the historical American preference for a sweet spot in the patterns of target guns while many Europeans preferred a consistent density across the shot pattern.

I know that my gun with the teagues gives a nearly uniform and consistent pattern similar to their test results and definitely LOVES my shells with slow powders (It probably likes fast ones too but that isn't what I load).

I don't know how that would translate to different types/sizes of ammo. You might want to try comparing the results from an aftermarket teague choke with a Briley to see for yourself. Should be fairly easy and not too expensive a test.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/01/08 09:12 PM
Unles you are using extremely light loads in the 20 ga it will require slower powders for a similar load than a 12ga. By "Similar" I mean neither equal nor proportionate. Conmsidering the normal Skeet/upland load as 7/8oz in 20ga & 1 1/8oz in 12ga & the "High Power" load 1oz in 20ga & 1¼oz in 12ga, in both cases the 20ga would require a slower powder to keep pressures in line with similar velocities. Much of the bad press given the smaller gauges in early days I feel stemmed from the fact that progressive powders (slow) were not then available & pressures were often high &/or erratic in the smaller gauges.
Posted By: LLemke Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/01/08 09:51 PM
2-Piper

Thanks for your information. After quite a bit of loading and shooting patterns, I have found a moderate load using unique for 1 oz loads and even 7/8 and in preliminary tests, it patterns quite well.

What I am thinking about is using a 1 oz load with more speed than the 1150 I get from Unique. When shooting nickel plated shot, we do get any blown patterns, but that is too expensive for every day shooting.

I will contact Briley about their findings and see if they can make me a choke. By the way, any idea where you read about that test with Teague and Briley chokes.

Thanks again.

Lenard
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/01/08 10:09 PM
Teague's claim to fame is that their chokes have nothing but taper, no parallel section. Their claim, like most claims is probably mostly hot air. Later Winchester chokes are/were all a very long radius(22' or something on that order), no parallel section. It's been written that the more abrupt the constriction is, the less constriction is needed for a given choke designation. Whether the patterns will be as even is possibly another story.
Posted By: LLemke Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/01/08 11:11 PM
Jim, I just sent an email off to Briley. Will see how they respond. I am willing to spend a little money if I can get results.

Thanks

Lenard
Posted By: tanky Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/02/08 01:17 AM
Check out Carlson's in Atwood Kansas. I don't know about 20ga but I have some extended stainless chokes made buy them in 12 ga that have a long parallel. The modified tube shoots very tight with steel shot. They are much cheaper than Briley.
Posted By: LLemke Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/02/08 01:43 AM
I have bought chokes from Carlsons before. Will call and see what they have to say.

Thanks.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/02/08 02:01 AM
I was looking at the 12g Carlsons that my bro-in-law was using, the extended Carlsons had the same taper as the flush. That is; the taper ended before or at the end of the muzzle and the extended portion was straight inside.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/02/08 03:06 AM
I never reloaded for the 20, and can't comment on that, but, my 20s all made me seek out good patterning loads, more than the other gauges about the homestead. I had a bitch of a time finding 7/8ths oz factory loads that would pattern well in the last 20 SXS I owned. 1 oz loads were easy, but, thats what I have a 16 for.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Keith E. Carlson Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/02/08 04:00 AM
Have you patterned Win AA and Rem skeet loads thru your chokes?
I always find it useful in both rifles and shotguns to shoot known quality loads first to know what I'm trying to beat/match.
I've found that Win AA skeet loads pattern well in most all my 20 gauge guns.m
If Win AA's pattern well, I think you can find Win Super field loads that will work for you.
Posted By: LLemke Re: Testing 20 ga. guns - 03/02/08 03:43 PM
Keith, I have never had any luck with factory ammunition. I had a Benelli 20 for some years, and it killed birds better than it patterned. Up to 25-28 yards it was reasonably reliable but that was the limit. Add more choke, and it blew the patterns. A couple of Model 12's in the same gauge, about the same.

So, I am on this quest to find some loads I can live with. Unique seems to be promising. This is the first time I have made a concerted effort to find what my guns in 20 ga. will shoot.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com