doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jimmy W Club shooting prices................... - 07/20/08 05:54 AM
This has been asked before, but with the rising costs, how are the shooting costs at your club holding out? Since I stated shooting skeet a few weeks ago, I have been shooting like crazy. Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays, I go out to the club and I have been shooting 3-4 rounds of skeet a day. (I'm really having a blast!) Our club will be raising the price of shooting trap, skeet and sporting clays August the first. I don't know what sporting clays will be but I know trap and skeet will go up to $4.00 a round, which still isn't too bad compared to some clubs. We have a special deal where you can by a punch card and get 10 rounds for $37.50, (or a $20.00 for $75.00) but you have to be a member to buy one. So, that is still only $3.75 a round. Not too bad. I shoot at the Middletown Sportsmans Club, by the way, and you can find our website by typing in the name on Yahoo. So, how are the prices at your club holding out?
The costs at the local club are continually rising but they're still reasonable. I think it's mostly due to the fact that we have no paid faculty.

Our club only has skeet and trap and most people around here (SE Alabama) used to shoot sporting clays at Bear Creek Sporting Clays in Panama City, Florida.....

Here what happened to their business.....
http://www.bearcreek.net/

Adam
Our club in Memphis Tn. is member owned and has a manager and about 4 paid workers on duty 7 days a week...we probably have close to 3000 members and it's one of the nicest ranges in the country.

All our machines have electronic counters.
Trap, Skeet and Wobble Trap is .13 cents a target or $3.25 per 25 rounds...5 stand and Sporting clay comes to about .20 cents a target or $20 bucks per hundred.
You can get by alittle cheaper if you rent/buy a preset counter.
At Elm Fork in Dallas a round of Sporting clays (100 targets) is about 45.00 with tax and everything. I would go to Alpine but that's a 100 mile round trip so the money saved on targets and time would be eaten up buy gas. I think a round of sporting at alpine is still 35.00.

Regards, Gordon
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/20/08 02:08 PM
I'm paying $40 for 100 Sporting. I haven't shot skeet or trap in so long I really don't know what they charge at my regular range. I'm guessing $7 or more. This is at the largest range in the greater Los Angeles area.
Our club is at $4.00 the extream is $2 to 7.50 in our area. The $2 guys are member owned and work very hard our $4 is member owned but lazy with a paid manager, the $7.50 is a private for profit co.
bill
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/20/08 03:04 PM
around of 5-stand is $9.70 at American, too bad because I won't pay that much just because I won't be ripped off like that.
Steve
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/20/08 03:24 PM
We(Purgatory Clay Sports) charge non-members $5 for trap, skeet and 5-stand and 12.50 for 50 sporting clays. Members pay $4.50 and $12.00. Members can also buy a punch card for $100 that contains $115 in punches, making the net cost $4.37 and $10.87.
Cedar City charges $4.00 and $3.50 for trap(non-members and members). Kanab is the same. Both offer punch cards tht further reduce the cost.
Membership in all three clubs is $25, per year.

We also have no payroll, rent or utilities.
Amarillo Gun Club member prices are:
Annual memebership $125
Trap and Skeet - $5
Five Stand $7

We have had some money problems and until I read this thread I assumed we weren't charging enough. We have paid trappers (kids). We don't have a paid managager which I am not sure saves any money. I called Silverleaf in Oklahoma and Windwalker in Midland and the San Angelo club and they were all a couple of dollars per round higher.

Best,

Mike
This morning I shot 50 rounds of Sporting clays on our wooded course it was $9.83.....Sounds like most of you guys are getting stiffed.
The only ranges near me are skeet, trap and 5-stand. Skeet is about 3.50 a round for members, 5 stand is 4.50 to 5 depending on the range. Everything in the area is only open on sundays and 1 or 2 evenings a week. The range I shoot at most is member-owned with no staff.
There is a very rough around the edges private sporting clays range about 1.25 hours away that is only open by appointment--that's $45 per 100.

Wish I had more selection around me but with no population center anywhere close, it's not very likely.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/20/08 09:58 PM
Skeet is $3.00 at one club, $2.75 at another I have been a member for most of my life where member work and there is no paid help. At the "country club" it is an even $10.00 a round. Being a snob cost, but you do see some a few real nice guns if you shoot there.
Posted By: sweep Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/21/08 02:44 AM
I just shot 3 rounds of skeet and a round of sporting clays(50) today for $30 dollars plus a tip for the thrower which was a young girl, NE Ohio. In PA where I shoot it is $7 for 5 stand and $18 for 50 and $25 for 100 bird sporting clays, remote control throwers, and a cart if needed is an extra $10. It seems the larger places have more overhead and need to charge a little more and the smaller and more rural areas are a bit less. Any way I look at it I can't shoot in my back yard and these prices seem very reasonable to me.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/21/08 03:14 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
This morning I shot 50 rounds of Sporting clays on our wooded course it was $9.83.....Sounds like most of you guys are getting stiffed.
WOW!! How did you shoot so many rounds of Sporting Clays in one morning? You must have really been hauling the mail!! For most guys it takes all morning to shoot just one or two rounds.......... But I think our club charges $25.00 for 2 rounds of sporting clays, but that is before the pay hike goes into effect next month. From what I hear, a lot of clubs charge $7-10.00 for a round of trap or skeet. And that is quite a bit.
Sorry....I shot 50 taa'gets
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/21/08 09:59 AM
I think that to pay double or even triple the cost of the clay targets you shoot at is just and reasonable but anything over $5 per round of skeet, trap or five-stand is unfair and unreasonable on a volunteer operated range. The club I belong to charges $3 for anyone who shoots except RO's (range officers) who shoot for $2.50 (and we get to do all the work too, like unloading the tractor trailer when it arrives with 24 pallets of targets . . . or loading the trap machines and picking up everyone else's empties.) What a bargain, we get to do all of this for a savings of $ .50
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/21/08 11:46 AM
I knew that, jOe. I was just pokin' at you. :).............. At our club, we have people working on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. It is closed on Mondays, so you can go out and shoot on the other days, but you have to have your own puller. It costs the same, whether you pull yourself or have a club member/worker do it.
Hermon Skeet Club members pay $3.50 for 25 target rounds of skeet or trap. 25 5 stand targets go for $4. Non-members pay fifty cents more/round. Kids pay $2/round. The club makes money for capital purchases by way of the NSCA shoots. NSSA events bring little in. We didn't have any ATA events this year.

Club membership costs ought to be mentioned, to get an apples to apples comparison. Our annual charge is $48. Life membership is the greatest deal going, at $400. Life members get a key and access 7 days/week.

Sam
At my club, we get charged 25 cents/target thrown on Sporting. The nice thing is that we're given an electronic counter that you plug in at each station. You can shoot the course as set out (sequences of singles, reports, true pairs, etc) or just fool around, which is what most of us do, shooting each target or pair until we either understand it or, as is often the case, decide they've loaded the armored targets and give up. At the end, you present your counter and pay. You even get credit for reported no-birds. You can get a puller if you like, but the duty usually just revolves within each group. If you're alone, there's a delay feature, but it's too complicated for me.
We also have GREAT lunches for under $10, which is the best bargain in the DFW area.
My club (Oil Capitol Rod & Gun Club) is member owned club limited to 1000 members. All work is done on a voluntary basis.We have some of the hardest working volunteers I've ever been around! Skeet and Trap is $3.00 for members $4.00 to guest. We don't have a Sporting Clays course, but at times set up impromptu targets with remote traps. We just purchased a semi trailer load of targets and were advised there would be an substantial increase on the next load. I suspect there will be adjustments.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Club shooting prices................... - 07/21/08 04:12 PM
You are right about the membership, Samuel. When I first joined around 2000, the membership was $50.00. Now it has gone up to about $75.00. Our membership costs more the first time you join and then drops back to about $55.00 for each year so you don't want to let your membership run out or you will have to pay that extra money to rejoin.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com