doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Electric Checkering Tool - 01/30/14 04:45 PM
At the Las Vegas show I met Jon Hosford and got his tool brochure. He's offering a power checkering cutter run by a Foredom motor. Has anyone here had a chance to try this tool? After the collapse of J&R Engineering and the lack of service for MMC tools, it's good to know there's another option available.
Posted By: Carpetsahib Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 01/31/14 02:47 PM
Never heard of Jon Hosford. Do you have any contact information you can share?
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 01/31/14 08:06 PM
Here's Jon's website: http://www.hosfordco.com/index.html
Posted By: Carpetsahib Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/01/14 01:00 PM
Thanks
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/01/14 01:09 PM
I looked at the site, but sadly there was nothing relating to a checkering machine. Actually the site is quite limited in what it shows. There is a fantastic Shotgun barrel measuring gauge set that covers everything from 4 bore to the more commonly used bores of today @ $600.00. to other items like a 10 place rotary display device for showing off your long guns and shot guns, but you really need to be a wealthy serious collector to buy one at $40,000.00 per item. Ouch. The quality looks superb. Perhaps the site just needs updating.

Harry
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/01/14 04:48 PM
I also got a brochure from Jon Hosford at the Vegas show. It did show a checkering tool. Jon asked me to put one of my guns aside for him, but he never came back to pick it up. Attempts to contact him via his website email have not been successful.
Posted By: Boats Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/01/14 10:51 PM
John has a very nice table at the Southern SXS. Have seen him use that tool. Don't checker myself so can't say how it works. He's a craftsman my guess is it works well . Next southern is late April Sanford NC

Harry, The rotary gun rack is amazing I don't think it's seriously for sale. But you never know, wall measure is a piece of art compared to Brownells.

Boats
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/03/14 01:56 PM
I have a copy of his brochure that I got at DSC. I have it scanned, the pages with the tool, but don't know how to post it. Anyone wants to see it, send me an email.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/06/14 07:23 AM
I came across this post on another website connected to engineering. It may help to explain what happened to J & R checkering tools, or why it folded.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Jon Doiron, owner of J&R Engineering, died Wednesday, June 5, 2013, from injuries he sustained while skiing in Vermont on April 21. J&R Engineering will no longer continue to operate. Any hand tools and cutters found in Jon’s shop and available for sale will be listed on this web site. Customers with outstanding orders will receive a communication in the mail shortly.

Not much comfort for those who need parts, servicing or spare cutters.

Harry
Posted By: Clint M Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/13/14 03:47 PM
Hello, I am a new member to this forum, but have read a great many posts here over the years. I saw this thread, and registered so that I could post a comment. I wanted to let those of you who checker with an MMC or J&R power tool know about a reliable source for new cutter blades, Universal Grinding Co., 14209 W 62nd St., Eden Prairie, MN 55346-1707, 952-975-0331.

I saw a mention of this company in a forum somewhere last fall, maybe even here, gave them a call, and talked to a gentleman named Al. Al said they had blades made up that cut 90 degree grooves in both .060" and .050" thicknesses. I ordered one of each and he shipped them to me the next day. When they got here two days later, I was ecstatic, they were so sharp that I almost cut myself putting one on the tool to try it out. The quality was outstanding.

Al said they could make the blades in either the 9/16" diameter to fit the MMC tools, or in 1/2" diameter to fit the J&R tools. The blades threaded right onto either tool's shaft perfectly, I have both.

Maybe Mr. Hosford won't have to bother making the blades and can concentrate on just the tool and forget holding them on with a nut.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/14/14 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info Clint. Do you know if they are sharpening old cutters?
Welcome to the Forum!
Best,
Steve
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/14/14 12:49 PM
Anybody here get that MMC checkering tool that just sold on E-bay? Checkering Tool

John
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/17/14 03:24 PM
Steve,

He does resharpen them, give him a call.
Posted By: Clint M Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 02/17/14 04:11 PM
Howdy Jim and Steve,
Yes, Jim is correct. Sorry I dropped the ball and did not check back on the forum over this weekend. Universal Grinding does resharpen the blades, and at a reasonable cost.
Posted By: azdale Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 11/25/16 11:35 PM
Hi,
Sorry to resurect an old topic but this seemed to be a good place to ask this question. I have an MMC Electric Checkering Tool that has stripped gears in the 90 degree drive. Does anybody have a clue alternatives? I have been looking at electric slot car gears sets as they seem to be about the right size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dale
Posted By: skeettx Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 11/26/16 01:05 AM
Have you checked with these folks??

http://ullmanprecisionproducts.com/contact/
Posted By: LRF Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 11/26/16 02:40 PM
Have you looked here:
SDP/SI

Research their site they may have what will work for you
Posted By: azdale Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 11/26/16 02:47 PM
Wow! The D3 appears to be almost exactly like the MMC from the photograph. I will write them and see if the gear sets are available as a replacement part. I did some careful measurements with a digital caliper and it appears that the gears are 100 pitch, 22 tooth, 1/8" shaft and 1/4" O.D. The most of the teeth are stripped so I had to do some interpolation. Thanks for the links. I will also check out the gear mfg site.

Dale
Posted By: craigd Re: Electric Checkering Tool - 11/26/16 03:12 PM
The internal parts and likely the basic body are probably not purpose built for checkering. If you don't have much luck with the other leads, maybe there's a manufacturer marked on the body. NSK? If so, you can probably track down repair shops and parts suppliers. If you can't find that manufacturer marking, a handpiece repair shop would likely know the innards from a good picture or accept the basic body for repair. Best of luck with it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com