doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Griffin & Howe Mount help - 01/21/21 01:19 AM
I got the Mannlicher Schoenauer 1908 today. It has a G&H side mount. My first G&H mount. Mounted a scope and ran out of windage, pulled off the scope and noticed the rings had numbers. I figured the #s denote offset?? swapped them and bingo can center the scope for windage. Now I am super close (bore siting) but I am bottomed out on elevation. How do I get just a smidge more down in elevation? Put a .020 shim between the front ring and base?

Phys Doc, if you see this I have a picture of what part of the Lyman 36 I have. Don't know how to post it to get it to you.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Griffin & Howe Mount help - 01/21/21 01:39 AM
PM sent, in fact, if you would like me to post pictures for you, I would be happy to do so.

Fred
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Griffin & Howe Mount help - 01/21/21 09:16 PM
Called Griffin & Howe, they were helpful some. Seems during the 40s through the 60s they sold a good number of mounts to gunsmiths most of which did not install the mount they do, then or now.. But they gave me some ideas. One thing I begin to realize in messing with it is that it doesn't behave exactly like a regular Weaver or Redfield. Being cantilevered over the bore from the side, tightening the rings the rings more on one side front or back change the windage a bunch. More than I would have imagined. With .008 brass shim in the front we are back in the range of adjustment. I tried .016 and it was too much. G&H from our conversation will actually cut the dovetails on an angle like a Picatinny rail to center the elevation on a particular scope.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Griffin & Howe Mount help - 01/21/21 11:54 PM
Have you shot the gun yet?
Mike
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Griffin & Howe Mount help - 01/22/21 02:46 AM
No Mike, not since I got the scope on today. Will be a little while before I get to shoot it. Our range is getting the berms redone.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com