doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor EKA drilling ? - 12/03/12 08:30 PM
Hello all,

I just picked up a pre WWI drilling with this mark [EKA] on bottom of scalloped boxlock action. It was retailed by Kuntze of Leipzig, and so engraved on tops of barrels. Calibers 16x16x 9.3x74R. Looks to be fairly high quality combo with well done game[stags etc.] engraving. Condition: near new with all the case color except on forend latch which is silver from normal handling. bores brilliant. Original stock finish. There are no makers stamps on barrels, lumps, or action face. Anyone know who this was?

Thank-you,

Mal
Posted By: ellenbr Re: EKA drilling ? - 12/03/12 08:41 PM
Mal:
Are you positive it is EKA and not CKA(C.K. Ansorg of Zella Sankt Blasii-Mehlis? No marks on the lower rib or forend lug? Can you post of email some images of the action and flats?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor Re: EKA drilling ? - 12/03/12 08:58 PM
Raimey,
Thanks for your quick response, I'm almost sure about the "E" I was not so sure about the "K"; positive about the "A". They are silver inlaid in a rectangular device. Unfortunately I'm further north for a while, away from the drilling, and not too good with posting pictures anyway. There are NO makers marks on the barrel flats, bottoms of barrels, lumps or action face, I looked at ribs and loop and did not note any marks there that looked like a makers mark or logo either. Proofs are typical post 1894 with "nitro" on shotgun barrels and STMG etc. on rifle. Caliber stamped as "9" and "75". I couldn't find any match for action logo in my references; I plan to look tomorrow in references "at work".

Best, and thanks again,

Mal
Posted By: ellenbr Re: EKA drilling ? - 12/03/12 11:44 PM
I've seen an EKC in a polygon or octagon with the K being larger in the center. I think it was on a Krieghoff combo:

http://www.gamefairltd.com/Krieghoff_Combo.html

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: EKA drilling ? - 12/04/12 01:06 AM
If you haven't, better do a chamber cast on the rifle when you get back to to it. I thought mine was a 9.3 X 74R. Turns out it was a 9.3 X 75 Nimrod. Quite a difference from the -74R.
Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor Re: EKA drilling ? - 12/04/12 02:26 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Sharps,

Visual on chamber shows tapered case with small bottleneck, 9.3X74R cases drop in and headspace properly. Groove dia. at muzzle .365. I haven't shot the rifle barrel yet, but we'll see if it "fireforms" to something different from standard.

Raimey,

Action similar to one at Gamefair, boxlock, with interceptors; except pin type cocking indicators on top of action.

Engraving also of similar quality, as is remainder of gun.

Best,

Mal
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: EKA drilling ? - 12/04/12 07:41 PM
9.3 X 74R shouldn't chamber in the 9.3 X 75 Nimrod so you're probably right. Only reason I mentioned it is because my drilling is of the same vintage as yours and the bells and whistles went off in my head. Except for the differenece in power and about .030 difference at the head and .020 on the rim dia. the -74R and -75 Nimrod could just about pass for twins.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com