doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Larry21556 Post WWI 98 sporter question UPDATE - 05/21/13 11:20 PM
I have one with a bore marking of "222,5" any idea what it might be chambered for. that is all it is marked "B" "U" "222,5". No apparent makers marks. Thanks Larry
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 11:12 AM

That's a plug gauge for 7mm. Any idea on the length?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 01:43 PM
Thanks for a copy of that chart. I will try to get a chamber casting today. Thanks, Larry
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 09:53 PM
Casting showed caliber to be 7x57mm. It appears to have a single set trigger but if you push it forward it fires. I seems to be an inter war Mauser in a condition that seems to be restorable. The rear sight is the 1000 Meter single leaf/tangent type. What do you think???? Larry

Posted By: montenegrin Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 10:11 PM
I am no expert on these but think that this is an early (pre-WWI?), original Mauser Oberndorf sporter.
With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 10:33 PM
Larry,
If I read the number correctly, #13157 should date the rifle to 1906.
With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 10:39 PM
I agree with Jani. A quick way to tell is to see if the rear of the magazine box is marked with the serial number(at least mauser actions sold to others were so marked).
Mike
Posted By: John Can. Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 11:07 PM
Nice old Mauser Larry, I don't think it is a set trigger at all, that springy thingy just takes out the two stage military trigger and makes it a straight pull.

And yes the gun might fire / will fire when the trigger is pushed forward, the mechanics are the same as if pulled the trigger eg. it brings down the "sear". FWIW --- John
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 11:09 PM
Jani,
You have the serial number correct and there is a serial number on the rear of the magazine. The action measures 16.2 CM. Is that the medium commercial action?
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/22/13 11:21 PM
Any ideas on how to adjust that trigger??Larry
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/23/13 02:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Larry21556
Any ideas on how to adjust that trigger??Larry
I would first try different springs- after a good cleaning- and using a digital trigger pull gauge- you will still have the military two-stage trigger, but perhaps with a lower lb.pull to release the sear- Viel Gluckt!!
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/23/13 01:31 PM
I will disassemble the trigger and clean it. But, the only spring seems to be the leaf on the base and when I push forward to set the trigger it releases the sear. I am unfamiliar with this type of trigger. thanks to all it is good to know it is Mauser made although it seems to be a pretty utilitarian grade. Nice to have a 7mm. If I can find some ammo I will give a range report.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/23/13 02:22 PM
Larry21556,
The trigger is not a set trigger at all,it is a military style two stage trigger, which was also avaliable on commericial Mausers.The flat spring in the front of the trigger is simply there to take out the initial stage.When you take it apart, you should find a coil spring ahead of the trigger(inside).If you drop a rod(adjusted to length)into this spring, you can limit trigger overtravel to the amount you desire.Sear engagement has to be adjusted by stoning.Trigger pull weight can be adjusted by shortening the coilspring or adding a washer under it.When adjusting this type trigger, it importent to go slowly and be sure there is enough sear engagement to prevent it disengaging from a shock(bump,falling, etc).It is not possible to achieve as light a pull as a set trigger,because a set trigger does not hold against the mainspring.Attempts to do so can very well result in a dangerous trigger.Ammo, is widely avaliable from American sources, 7x57 is known as 7mm Mauser here.
Mike
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/23/13 03:04 PM
Thanks for the advise on adjusting the trigger. I somehow missed John Can."s comment that it wasn't a set trigger I see now that he was correct.

My problem with ammo is that almost nothing is commercially available around my area at this time.

Again, thanks for the good advise and the clarification as to what I have here. Larry
Posted By: xausa Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/23/13 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Larry21556
my area

Would that be Pinto, MD? I probably can help you out with the ammunition if you would send me a PM.

Bill Warren
Posted By: John Can. Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/24/13 12:18 AM
Larry you could try different thicknesses of that springy thingy (ST) / you could weld an small nut with an adjustment screw to the front of the trigger on that extension of the trigger that the ST is under now.

It was discussed here?, I'm not certain, quite some time ago - you might want yo do a search.

---John
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/24/13 03:11 AM
Quote:
when I push forward to set the trigger it releases the sear.
That seems like someone has converted the original two-stage trigger to one without any fore pull.

Here is some pictures of converted original mauser triggers:

Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/24/13 01:03 PM
Great photos. I was starting to think about some type of modification as the trigger in 1906 was probably acceptable, but in today's reality it is dangerous. Thanks, Larry
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/24/13 02:59 PM
Larry,
Since your rifle is an original Mauser Sporter, I recommend you don't weld/modify any of the parts numbered to the rifle. The world is full of military triggers,sears,etc.I suggest you aquire some of these parts to play with and store(in a marked envelop)the original parts.
Mike
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 05/24/13 04:40 PM
Some british makers used to install a thin steel pin crossing the bottom metal hole for trigger so that you just canīt push the converted single stage trigger forward. In Jon Speeds first mauser book you could see a good picture how to assembly it.
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/15/13 07:13 PM
Thanks to all who commented on this rifle. I have learned a lot about a model I had overlooked, that being this 7x57mm Model C. A utilitarian rifle, but very well made. I am generally not a believer in refinishing original guns; however, this one was in such bad shape there was virtually no original finish left on it and it had some severe rust issues everywhere but the bore which was pretty nice. So here it is after some grinder work, a dose of Brownell's rust blue, some nitre blue on the screws and small parts and some effort. Those are my thumb prints on the rear sight. The last two photos are of a Chr. Hoffacker, Munchen, just to show what the Bavarians could do to gussy up one of these rifles. Next stop the range.

Posted By: montenegrin Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/15/13 08:56 PM
Larry,

Very nicely done!
As for the shorty, ohlala...

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: RJH Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/16/13 12:58 AM
What makes this a Model C instead of a Model B, I see checkered cheekpiece stock, front ramp sight and no stepped bbl.
Thanks, you did a fine job.
Bob
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/16/13 01:51 AM
As I understand it there are many variations of both the model c but mostly they have the plain Jane stock without the pistol grip cap, unmarked receiver ring and tangent sight. They came with both stepped and tapered barrels and single or two stage triggers. as pointed out to me earlier this one has an extra spring to change it from a two to a single stage trigger. It is a real job to figure out what came with what as authorities seem to differ.
Posted By: DONS Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/16/13 03:03 PM
I would have to agree with RJH on this one. All of the detail features ( location of sling swivels, non-step barrel, buttplate etc.) would indicate an early 1906 intermediate action Type B rather than a Type C. wink
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/16/13 04:29 PM
RJH and DONS may very well be correct. Let me explain my confusion.

In "Mauser, Walther & Mannlicher Firearms" by W.H.B. Smith, the Type B Sporter is described in five variations all of which having "hinged magazine plate with lever release, walnut stock with cheek piece full checkered and steel capped pistol grip". On page 158 a photo of a type "B" Model 98-08 (which appears to be identical to my rifle) is shown having neither the hinged magazine plate with lever release nor a steel capped pistol grip the caption mentions that it has "special hunting sights" but shows a tangent sight. No mention is made of a type C.

In "Mauser Bolt Rifles" by Ludwig Olson Third Edition, on page 224 shows a photo identified as a Type B. Pattern No. 60 with scope that has a full checker ed stock with double triggers, steel cap pistol grip and lever release magazine plate. On page 228 is a photo identified as and "Early Oberndorf sporting rifle", that appears identical to mine. Perhaps it would be better to describe my rifle as "early" with out reference to Type A , B, or C, I don't know. What do you all think?

Page 227 shows a rifle as described by RJH with stepped barrel identified as an "Oberndorf Mauser Army Hunting rifle". No reference to Type A or B.

Thus my confusion and I am ready to call it what ever is deemed appropriate and I am just looking forward to shooting it.

This is a great forum and I appreciate all of the comments.
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/16/13 09:31 PM
Iīm quite sure yours Mauser is Model B`s early export version No.80. All attributes as single trigger, stock with cheek piece and rounded pistol grip but without front checkering, round barrel with tangent curve rear sight (to 1000 meters ?) tells it.

This description you could find from Jon Speed`s Mauser Original Obendorf Sporting Rifles -book.
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/16/13 10:02 PM
Than is the one book that I have not been able to get a copy of, but I am glad to see that this is the consensus of opinion. Thank you all. Larry

PS: I will probably have more of these rookie questions.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/17/13 01:09 AM
Larry,
I think you can get a copy from the German Gun Collectors Assn. and I'm sure you can get a copy of Jon Speeds latest book, The Mauser Archive, from them.If you join, the member discount on the books would go a long way toward the dues.
Mike.
Posted By: RJH Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/17/13 03:21 AM
Larry,

On Nitro Express Forums there is a thread under one of the Mauser topics that has a short synopsis by Jon Speed of the "Original Oberndorf M98 Sporter Variations" with some of the important points of Commercial Mauser Sporters.It was an article for Man Magnum Feb 1998. I can't seem to locate this article, maybe someone here knows where its located on NE forums. I do have a hard copy that I could scan and email to you .
Bob
Posted By: kuduae Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/24/13 09:28 AM
This is not a "model C" or "Army Hunting Rifle", but a type B, full-blown sporter on an intermediate length action just like the barreled actions used for the famous .275 Rigby rifles. The stock shape with round pistol grip, half oval side panels, cheekpiece and sloping foreend is the typical Mauser sporter stock as made up to 1912. Only then stock shape was changed by Mauser to a capped pistol grip, smooth sides and Schnabel foreend. BTW, the letter A, B, C, M and S for the different sporter types were introduced by the Mauser factory only after WW1, in 1922.
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: Post WWI 98 sporter question - 06/24/13 06:25 PM
Thank you for your observations. This has been a very informative process for me.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com