Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have heard plenty of arguments as to which is the best American double made. Any suggestions on the worst. I am going to open on Davenports. I haven't seen a lot but most I have seen have a multitude of broken or malfunctioning parts even in decent shape otherwise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To start listing them from the bottom would be dangerous ground indeed to tread on. Much better to argue about the best while we're all winking and grinning at each other, knowing they were all good--just different. Most American shotguns were built to a price point and given a level playing field the production of Parker, Fox, Ithaca, Lefever, Baker, etc., are all wonderful guns. By the same token, those who made guns for the low end of the market did the best they could with the little they were being paid.

No sir, leave me outa this one....

John McCain is my war hero.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a loaded question indeed. I feel there are highs and lows in each company. For instance, I have a Ithaca 7E that is one of the finest guns period, and then I've seen a 4E which must have rolled off the line on a Friday. Foxes were all over the place. Smiths and Parkers more even keel.

So that leaves us with Fox...Beautiful product, financial mess so had to cut corners (especially engraving). That takes Fox out of the top.

Next is Ithaca. IMO, they put out some VERY nice guns in the Crass and Lewis era but when they changed the Flues the frames were strong looking but in reality, weaker. Also, just not very good looking.

So it boiles down to Fox and Ithaca as the bottom 2 of the big 4. And I think that (and I could be wrong) but most anyone would rather own a Fox than an Ithaca.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun for gun, imho, AH Fox guns bring more money than LC Smith guns.
That'll put them breathing at the heels of Parker Bros. which seemed to be played out at this moment!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Imperial Arms Co. gets my vote for worst gun, only because I was suckered into buying one that was misrepresented as something else. Total junk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Prolly the best of the worst are the SAC guns - but they bring out the heartland farmer in me and reminds me of our better past.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will stick my head over the parapet on this one but I will state firstly that I do not see a lot of American doubles on this side of the Atlantic. I will cast my vote for the Winchester model 24. at least as far as ugliness goes. Still, if I could find a good example I would add it to my collection. I have only ever come across one, which was in well used condition. Now I have probably upset some Winchester Collectors so I will apologise in advance. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

From what I am told and have read, the 24 is durable and dependable. That, having been said, I agree with your opinion, lagopus, that it is probably the ugliest American SXS ever made and I can think of no reason that I would want to own one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For ugly, I'll go with the Englishmen's Masu Bros gun pictured on p29 of Boothroyd's Sl&Bl.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 24's right up there in taking the title of ugliest girl at the dance, but it has very shootable dimensions and is actually a pretty darned solid gun.

When you stop to think about it, American gunmakers simply haven't turned out many truly crappy doubles. Some may have the dynamics of a poorly balanced 2x4, but as tools--and for the most part, that's what the inexpensive ones were built to be--they were pretty decent.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.