June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (Chantry, Hammergun, ksauers1, LRF, 3 invisible), 253 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,624
Posts547,103
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116167 10/08/08 08:29 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back in the 1960's era my Grandfather from near Carbondale in Southern Illinois had a Westley Richards double hammer eight gauge. I was a kid at the time but all I remember is the name, it was engraved all over in scroll, approx. 36-40 inch barrels and it weighed 16 lbs. as I remember one of my Uncles weighed it on a bathroom scale. After Granddad died one of my Uncles inherited it and after too many beers one evening sold it to a local gun trader. Years later I traced it to the gun trader who had passed away but his widow knew nothing about it. Ok, here is the needle in the haystack. Anyone on here ever know of anyone in the Southern Illinois area who has or had a Westley Richards eight gauge double? I can't imagine there is more than one around here. I have asked every gun dealer and trader in this area for years if they ever heard of or saw it but no luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to do better than that. I think a WR bar in wood eight came from Jack Puglisi in Duluth to be sold in Maryland. This was in 1969. However, you would have to come up with a serial number or picture. What was the condition of this gun? I would think this is going to be the only reply to your inquiry.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since I was 14 when my Granddad died in 1970 I can only recall the details I mentioned. My recollection of the gun is that it had lockplates. It was scroll engraved and had Westley Richards engraved on the lockplates. I'm pretty sure it had a toplever to break it down and it seems like it had a wedge fastened forend but I'm not sure. That is about all of the info. I can recall. It defininetly was a Westley Richards and not some W. Richards Belgium knockoff.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Forgot to add condition. Gun was clean, original finish, pistol grip stock, nice damascus finish on barrels, bores were nice as near as I can remember. My Granddad had two empty shells with it which were always in the chambers. I know that's not relevant, just part of what I remember.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Mr. Possumhunter, I wish you luck, but like you titled this thread, it's a needle in a haystack kind of quest you're on here. I'd google Westley Richards and 8guage to see what's on the net for sale if I were you, but it probably ain't gonna be much...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can understand that you would want to know that the gun is in good hands and being cared for as your grandfather would like.
I think you should be assured that it is and will be.
I would suggest that a public forum is not the ideal place to ask for , and expect, information on a particular rare shotgun.
Perhaps someone will get in touch with you if you were to make known how to be in touch privately.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you still live near there now (or even if you don't), you might want to put in the local paper where the gun was sold by your uncle. It might bring some answer. I once traced my Model 21 20 gauge back to the original owner and it ended up being purchased in the early thirties (originally)over in Indiana. But, only two people other people had owned it other than me, so it wasn't so hard. But, good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of the story about the guy who came on here and was looking for a Model 21 that he had lost after he had driven out of the woods and left it laying on the roof of his pick up truck. "Hey!! I lost my gun out in the woods two years ago. The last time I saw it, it was laying on the roof of my truck before I left the woods out in Lord knows where. A week later when I looked for it I couldn't find it. Have any of you guys seen it? If you have please return it to..........."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or the super duper Fox left on the roof of the car?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Westley 8 that came from Puglisi to MD in 1969 was a Deeley forend latch and straight grip. I thought maybe I had something for you. Too bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.