June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (LGF, Borderbill, mhabby, 3 invisible), 552 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,587
Posts546,761
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only way I can get them to turn out halfway decent is to play with the angle of the light source. Whether it be inside in my light box or outside in the shade. Best-JB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walter,

Let me be definite on the need to master Adobe Photoshop if you want decent digital images. I got Photoshop Elements 4 with my Leica digital point and shoot (10 megapixel) camera and could not figure out how to use the software by just doing it, so I bought some books: the best is Scott Kelby, "The Photoshop Elements 4 Book," likely available from Amazon.com. But it's big and detailed and lets you know how to work in the two digital formats, JPEG and RAW (you want the ability to record images in RAW for maximum quality). A smaller book that does the job well is Nolan Hester, "Retouching Photos in Photoshop Elements 4."

Essentially the Photoshop software enables you to either "Quickfix" or do the more complicated "Standard Edit." For your question, what you want to do is both "Reduce Highlights" and "Enhance Midtone Contrast" that is doable in Quickfix in less time than it's taken to type this!

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you each and every one for your help. It will be a Photo Shop adventure for me.
Best to all, Walt

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is the other side of the gun, same type image) taken with dead flat lighting. Better but still not acceptable.

Try a light "Tent" They can be bought in smaller sizes, larger sizes by be made from translucent cloth (parachute cloth works well) and used come reflector type lights. A good camera store , if they still exist, is a good source of info. I gave Ken Hurst a spare light tent, and his wife Julie is taking some excellent photos of gold inlays. You might want to give her a call. She is using a tent that will not handle an assembled SXS but that shold not be a problem. Regards John Dozier

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

PA has that one photo nailed....JB is correct, angle is important....I think JB's birds have the same color as PA's, do they?

The further you get from the birds...the darker the color is on the gold inlays. Seems like a product of the situation...how far away from subject, what general kind of lens and how much zoom was used? Big fan of natural light (cloudy enough to see a rain drop on the barrel?! ;( ) getting a bit further away with some zoom(not lots,?)...and try it at different angles. Tripod...small aperture helps make up for less than perfect focus and helps with depth of field....gunna drop your shutter speed down though to the point where you might not be able to get a clean shot hand-held?

I think I got this one captured pretty well.

Thought this was good..it was lit and taken on a tripod. Still has crappy depth of field! Wonderful engraving I think. Picture taken too close to subject, aperture too open?

None of those have gold, or high contrast metalwork...but I think they would have represented the contrast and color correctly?

Glare is thy enemy!

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt,

Look at the cocking indicator...it has a "funky" look to it, like the inlay?

Pins are "bright" but not out of the ordinary?

EVERYTHING about that picture speaks perfect color balance and contrast......looks great!

Why the gold does not represent well in photos is a challenge....

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt, While there is no gold on this gun the coin finish proved difficult for me. Remember photoshop is a great tool but you still need to start with a good pic. You have posted some great ones in the past so I know you are capable. Best-JB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took this with a tripod, no flash and normal room lighting.

Last edited by mark; 01/16/09 10:06 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.