June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jolly Bill, Borderbill, Jtplumb, grant1907, azgreg, Argo44), 171 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,168
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131855 01/21/09 03:57 PM
AFG Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there such a thing? I know about spreader wads to use in tightly choked guns but wondered if there is something that would do just the opposite. A tighter pattern out of open chokes. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cutting back on powder to produce less velocity might help.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can tighten patterns by using larger pellets, harder pellets, buffers, lower velocities, and different burn rates; or combinations of the above. May require experimentation.

Federal claims in their advertising for the Black Cloud steel loads that their FliteControl wad tightens patterns. This from the PatternMaster web site:
Quote:
The second part of Black Cloud’s secret is their unique and patented FLITECONTROL™ wad. Its rear-braking technology works opposite a standard wad—staying with the shot charge longer for tighter patterns. It also gets to the target quicker and with more overall energy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to near the same extent as spreader wads defeat choke effect. There have been many experiments and claims, but nothing reliable or really repeatable, as far as I know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We don't know much about choke, but my buddies are I were surprised last week by how tight was buffered No. 3 out of a modified barrel, three-inch 20ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For muzzleloaders, I believe its Circlefly that makes a wad that will tighten up those cylinder bores. How they work is; the plastic cup is just that a cup which has to have its sides cut vertically producing custom length petals. The length of the cut produces a more 'Open' choke. However that's in a muzzleloader where you don't have a chamber to deal with I've never looked to see if they make them for modern reloading. That could be worth checking into.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The concept of using a wad to hold the shot together longer has been tried many times without, to my knowledge, satisfactory results. Anyone got real pattern data to the contrare?

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a pre-release review article on Federal Black Cloud that appeared in Shotgun Sports magazine a few (3?) years ago that had some pattern data, as I recall. But, they were comparing Black Cloud to other loads and did not isolate the wad variable separately. If the wads are available, it would be relatively easy to pattern them in a standard load, assuming you have suitable load recipes. The article had the usual amount of flackery from the writer who went on a nice hunt at Federal's expense. I have shot a lot of Black Cloud this season, and the stuff does seem to work better than other steel loads, including Kent. Could be the wads, could be the funny pellets, who knows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I don't have any actual pattern data that would contradict your statement Rocket. At least I don't know of any that has been published detailing results of tighter patterns through the use of wadding.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some few years back there was considerable talk of buffering with white flour & some very tight patterns were reported. Several well known writers were espousing this practise. Then Don Zutz ran an article showing a very real probability of the flour crusting & sticking on the inside of previously fired plastic cases & raising pressures to a dangerous level. Should you see this recommended "Please" Do not Try it. Only use recommended buferig mat'l with lab prepared data.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.