June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (AP Smith, liverwort, Lawrence Kotchek, Kip, OldMaineWoodsman, 1 invisible), 405 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,007
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

I just diassembled my 1902 J.P. Sauer hammergun, so I can try to have the broken wrist repaired.
I was amazed at how perfect the machining is, especially where the front of the actual lock plates dropped into the receiver, I had never noticed how the plate dropped into the machined hole in the receiver, the work is that well done.
This action seems tiny to me for a 16 gauge. Is it? It is the only one I've ever seen, so this might not be anything special to someone with more old Sauer experience.
I took a few photo's to send to a friend. I will post them here if anyone cares to look. Excuse the quality, I just took them under a lamp, didn't go to any trouble.

Last edited by RGS022; 02/07/09 11:14 PM.

I can't be too bad, my dogs will kiss me.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice action. I noticed a possible slip with a sharp screwdriver(the bandaid and blood splattered fingers) be carful. How far are you from Uniontown.
Rich

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Rich,
Probably an hour or so. I am about 5 miles from Fort Ligonier. Screwdriver through the finger came from a frozen discharge line on a waste water pump. The screw head twisted right off, the screwdriver dug right in to my finger.

Last edited by RGS022; 02/07/09 10:18 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of those old Sauers, also 16X67 with 75 cm barrels. Mine weighs a bit less than 6 1/4 lbs. It is one of my very favorite shotguns. First time I took it hunting, every pheasant that flew died -- made dogs very happy -- find pheasant, point pheasant, retreive pheasant.

Niklas

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Niclas,
Same here. The slim english grip stock fits me perfectly. The open chokes over my pointing dogs work so well on pheasant, none has ever gotten away. Mine is under 6 pounds with twenty eight and 3/16ths" barrels.
The best thing of all is the triggers. They break like glass at about 2.5 pounds. They area also twisted perfectly for a right handed shooter.
I only use the RST 7/8ths ounce loads in my Sauer. What do you use in yours?

Last edited by RGS022; 02/07/09 10:57 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS022,

Mine is a 16x9.3 cape gun, circa 1912, 6 3/4lbs and with almost identical engraving to yours. The answer to your question concerning receiver size is yes they are quite dainty in width but not length. As per "Lock, Stock and Barrel", hammerguns allow for a very narrow action bar. I have another 16ga. that is 5 1/2lbs and it is approximately .2" wider. Wonderful guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, nice gun but I don't see a lot of machining.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS022,
Mine has a "open" pistol grip, not straight english grip, and has usual tight chokes in both barrels. On that first pheasant hunt with it I used some 1970s Fiocchi 16X65s with 28 grams (1,0 oz) of #6 lead alloy shot at 1300 fps in right barrel because they pattern more openly in all my 16s and Remington black game loads with 1,0 oz of #6 at 1220 fps in left barrel. These Remington 16 gauge loads have 67 mm hulls.

Only problem I had was that on longish shots -- roughly 40 yards -- #6 shot from those Remington loads did not penetrate deeply enough to give clean kills on going away shots, even with up to 10 pellets hitting bird. Pheasants dropped nicely but, were not dead. Next time I will use Cu-plated #5 lead alloy or #5 Bi-Sn alloy shot -- both penetrate deeply into vitals on going away mallards.

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice action!!

Originally Posted By: RGS022
Screwdriver through the finger came from a frozen discharge line on a waste water pump. The screw head twisted right off, the screwdriver dug right in to my finger.

oooowwwwwww!!! I rip'd up my left shoulder last winter pulling a grinder pump - a lot of birds lived this fall as I was a slooooooow swinger........

Course, you had your gloves on ;).......

Gary

Last edited by Puddle Rat; 02/08/09 07:05 PM.
RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Gary,
I wish I had my gloves on. I also wish it had not been a pipe in my home. I ruptured 5 discs in my lower back in May. I only got out 2 short hunts this year. Unfortuneately, on the first trip, on the first point, the first rooster, the first shot, the stock on this gun broke in half at the wrist. My GSP brought the bird to hand, but I didn't really care right then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.