June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (HalfaDouble, Dan S. W., Lawrence Kotchek, eeb, FlyChamps, AP Smith, 1 invisible), 420 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,008
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dude, I don't feel so bad about my fall......

well, get that stock fixed and be ready to hit the bush next fall with your pup!!!

Gary

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Gary,
Getting the stock fixed is a priority. It has already been repaired once, so this time may be tricky. There is no missing wood, so it should be a hard to detect fix. Getting my 3 pointing dogs the work they need is my big problem. These dogs normally hunt every Saturday and Sunday from Sept thu April. Plus they hunt 7 days a week for 5 weeks every year, scattered around in 3-4 states. This year, due to my back injury, they have only had 2 days in the field for a maximum of 2 hours a trip. This has been since May 15 3008. Seeing that all 3 are housedogs, there is a lot of pent up energy here.
I am beginning anoher round of injections in my spine on Friday. God willing, I will be able to run my dogs this weekend, at my club. I might be unable to shoot, but I can probably find someone willing to do that for me. That will allow me a chance to get some pictures, that I normally miss out on taking.

I can't be too bad, my dogs will kiss me.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look inside, my JPS looks like a high end watch and A CHE Parker I repaired was closer to a Ruger casting

Bill

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Bill,
The lock internals have some old hardened grease in spots. The lock parts have a finish that is fine enough, it looks like chrome.
Today I took the stock pieces to my workbench to begin removing the Accraglass from the area that had been glued previously. Every part on the gun is marked with the serial number, or the last three digits only. Inside the head of the stock, the contact surfaces are protected with what looks like a black glass compound. It is original since it has the last three digits of the serial number stamped on it with the same tiny stamps as all of the other parts. I was unaware that this was done on a stock at that early a date. Was glassing the stock contact points common at the turn of the century?

Last edited by RGS022; 02/10/09 10:23 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RGSo22, I have looked at this post a couple of times and I just cannot see the wonderfulness of the machining. Do you have photos of the "inside" of the gun ? It's a nice, petite gun, but the engraving is not top drawer. What is it about the machining , or do you mean a gun like this is built by machine, rather than by hand ? 'hope you take this in the spirit intended.

RGS022 Offline OP
OP Offline

Daryl,
I never thought the engraving was anything but low end. The machining I was so taken with, was probably better described as fit-up. The lockplates puzzled me, due to the way they fit up. I had never expected them to remove the way thet actually did. The fit of the round extension at the front of the actual lock fit so perfectly into the front of the action that there was no seam visible.
Perhaps I should have said that for an average grade side lock from that era there is much more fit up work on this action than any of the same era sidelocks I've had in the past.
The locks are disassembled right now, and I haven't taken any photos. No problems. I didn't explain myself very well. I never thought the piece was more than what it is. The extra fitting on this action just impressed me for the grade gun that it is.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.