June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,175
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just got back from shooting a round of skeet and trap. Tonite my skeet gun was a Dickson and Son, Churchill style, BL. This fall I had it out to Mike Orlen to open the left barrel from full to LM. Right is original Cyl. Tonight I shot the 2nd box of ammo out of it. After the skeet round, I heard a buzz as the barrel tapped on my leg. Rib is loose from the muzzle back 10", lifted up about 1/16". Is opening the choke generating enough heat to melt the solder? or is rib seperation just part of the vintage game? S--t happens, so to speak. Not at all blaming Mike as he would have had to notice the seperation and made mention of it..... Question, Now who is the go to guy to have it fixed? Cost? Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to generate enough heat to melt the solder from the friction of opening the chokes.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be, might not be, but thats why you keep your guns in their original condition, or the condition your bought them in.
I've learned to live with chokes on guns I really like - shipping guns and 'smiths are risky deals.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell so is driving to the store.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So is anything, but the trick is to reduce your risk.
Shipping guns, to a gunsmith is risky business.
...and as you know, the stories abound around here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve Bertram, in Boulder has fixed a couple for me. Good job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy: you're surrounded by doublegun guys

Channing Will
Will’s Gun Shop, Inc.
Spruce, MI
989-727-2500

Del Whitman
http://dcwhitmangunsmithing.com/index.html
Lake Ann, MI
231-275-0140 231-632-0845
dwhitman@centurytel.net

Hugh Lomas
920-876-3745
Elkhart Lake, WI.

Dennis Potter
Muskego, WI
414-425-4830
potter@execpc.com

Mark Beasland
Mosinee, WI
http://www.mbabllc.com
mark@mbabllc.com
866-622-2486

Randy,
Dennis Potter (Guild Master) is probably the best at everything, but there's probably a long line of projects ahead of you. If you're in a hurry, contact Del Whitman.

Why did your rib come loose? I never heard the perfect answer as to reason, just that a fault was created in the solder joint that resulted in failure of the joint. Also heard its common when silver solder is used with rust blue barrels on a vintage gun.

My personal experience is it only happens on barrels that have been backbored, or chokes opened (although age can do it too).

All agree that not enough heat is generated during the process of backboring or opening chokes to affect the silver solder joint. But the action of the reamer (a slow load friction of metal on metal) does create harmonics in the barrel that could possibly break a weak solder line joining rib to barrels. I've had it happen twice on Perazzi target barrels that were worked on by Ken Eyster.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all for the input. The solder line is very fine so may be just a weakness in the joint. Randy

RMC

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.