June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
11 members (dukxdog, dogon, 6 invisible), 445 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,757
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems they probably sold the usual range of original quality grades of guns. However, I doubt they actually made them in-house.They likely sourced French and Belgian guns. No reason I can think of that they would not have sourced a Brit gun if that was what the customer wanted - - - and was willing to pay for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have never seen a gun with an unengraved screw amongst engraving at the rear of the top rib, nor one with the front bead on the bottom of the barrels?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SDH - I was wondering about that screw in the rib, too. I wonder what it's for?

And I think the pic of the bead is upside down. Or maybe that's just how the French do it?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com

OWD-try fusil de chasse. That should bring up a number of books. On Amazon France it brings up plenty. Kindest regards

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was never able to turn up any reliable information on Gyot,s gunmaking business.My research failed to find any reference to Gyot in records published on the History of the London gun trade 1850-1920. I formed the opinion that the gun was made in Paris. As I understand french proof regulations, Proof marking of Guns was not mandatory in the 19th; century.Gyot was clearly attempting to increase sales & prestige, through success in U.K. gun trials.To make a sale in the U.K.at this time,it would have been mandatory to have the gun proof tested prior to any sale.This could well be the reason for the London proof marks.
In addition, I have seen Guns bearing the name Gyot,with Belgian proof marks . The quality of these guns was inferior to the gun previously in my possession.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/16/09 06:15 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Timothy S
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Others here more expert in the field of heraldry than I should certainly comment, but I don't believe that's a family coat of arms on the stock. Interesting gun, for sure.

Brownie, what do you suspect it would be?

tim

Well, it just doesn't look like a family coat of arms, at least not to me. Maybe a Guyot logo? Strictly guessing here.

OWD, I've got 3 or 4 books in French on guns, but nothing with a chapter on Guyot. You might want to try Gournet's website. I don't have the link, but I'm sure someone else does.

Sidelock
Sidelock

that's about as fine a gun as you're going to get. the price is high be "le hombreee" is not insulted by serious offers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep I did PJ!
It was a nice enough gun, for those with the taste for continental things.
The Guyot was every bit as good as an Englishmen's gun(not really) but for trying to resell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Likely a very poor method for securing a detached rib!I am pleased to say that this feature was not present on the gun That I described in my earlier post.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't know about the detached rib theory.

There may be a real function for it. There must be a chunk of meat underneath that rib for the screw to bite into - more than sides of the tubes and the metal from the lumps.

That suggest to me that there's more to the story.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.