June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Kolar Dickson, grouse28, LGF, Jeremy Pearce, eeb, JDH), 555 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,769
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend of mine sent me this link, though some of you Damascus fans would find this somewhat interesting..I think its pretty cool http://www.damasteel.com/firearms.html

What are you thoughts? Anyone here ever seen anything done by this company?

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin,

Very aware of damasteel. The metal is not damascus in the traditional sense. They are a Swedish corporation that started in 1995. They use a process involving rapid solidification metallurgy, which they did not invent. It was invented at Northeastern University in Boston in the early 1980's.

There have been forays into firearms using this product, most notably was Caspian who produced damasteel slides for semi-automatic pistols. Zbrojovka Brno had some barrels made up in addition to traditionally produced damascus, they went out of business before either was ever produced in quantity.

It is possible to produce some very colorful products using damasteel. Again this does not even come close to the traditional methods as damasteel uses extreme cold to produce colors.

Pete

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ya Pete, I remember those Caspian slides from back in the day. I did not know that there was anyone making barrel blanks out of the stuff though. I would like to see a doublegun with these tubes. I think it would be pretty cool. I'm with you, this process is no where near what the traditional methods were to make the tubes...but neither is CNC, wire EDM, Spark Eroders, etc. that are being used to build todays best guns. Do you know of any shotguns, custom or commercial that have been built with these tubes?

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin,

To my knowledge, no one has used damasteel to produce shotgun barrels of any type. Oscar Gaddy and I had many discussions on this topic. We eventually decided to take on the project. Oscar had a M21 that had been through a fire. He was going to retemper the action. It was left to me to find the barrels. After many attempts, we had to give it up. I could not find a supplier for the blank tubes. The American supplier was unable to acquire stock of the correct dimensions. I even called Sweden and spoke to some one at Damasteel about this. They were not interested in a "one of" type of project at the time.

Originally the goal of forge welded damascus was to reproduce the inherent strength of Wootz steel. The early fluid steel was plagued by imperfections and was not very capable of handling the pressures of gun powder. Eventually forge welded tubes came into use. They provided a cheap alternative to the hard to acquire Wootz. They were able to handle the pressures if the barrel walls were thin. They were light enough that carrying a sxs was not an exercise in brute strength and stamina.

Bessemer and then Whitworth found ways to decrease imperfections and increase strength. Despite this damascus remained a popular choice.

The knowledge and skill to produce forge welded damascus was never really lost. It did fade, being left mostly in the hands of a very few gunsmiths and a few zealous aficionados. It has been "rediscovered" a great many times.

In Europe there have been and still are some individuals who can produce forge welded damascus. Some are able to reproduce the old patterns at will. Some can not produce those patterns. I know of English, French, German and American gun / blade makers who have done it.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damasteel (as has been observed not pattern welded) 20g shotgun barrel from http://www.crandart.co.uk/damasteel.htm

Modern damascus rifle barrel manufactured by Zbrojovka Brno, unfortunately out of business
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...NUS279%26sa%3DG

.270 Damascus-Twist laminate rifle barrel by Stefan Gobec Messerschmiede
http://www.gobec.at/index.html

Last edited by revdocdrew; 05/07/09 01:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. So some one produced the barrels. Where is the rest of the gun? They all appear to be single barrels.

Pete

I think Flodman is offering damasteel as an option. Regards

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check Flodman Guns. They have used Damasteel as an optional barrel material for years. Of course you need to like stainless steel and titanium guns.

http://www.flodman.com/

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: john dozier
I think Flodman is offering damasteel as an option. Regards

What he said!

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the link. Learn something new every day....

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.