June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Kip, Ken Georgi, Drew Hause, fallschirmjaeger, 1 invisible), 387 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,001
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A good friend that owned a local sports shop recently passed away and while cleaning out the store I came across some correspondence between H.H. Hussey of Ogden Smiths & Hussey LTD. Gun & Rifle Makers and Mssrs. Jobes (?) and Cobb of Abercrombie & Fitch. Not sure of the names because Mr. Hussey wrote with a very thick nib. One exchange from 2/1922 and the other from 11/1923, an accident suffered by Hussey, discussing business arrangements for A&F to market Hussey's guns, what guns might sell in the states, some duck shooting, etc.

My girlfriend can actually read the Hussy letter better than I, perhaps I can get a translation this weekend.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

James S. Cobb was the vice-president of A&F at the time the letter was written. When Ezra Fitch retired as president in 1928, James Cobb became president and 1929 began an expansion program by purchasing Von Lengerke & Detmold, Von Lengerke & Antoine, and Griffin & Howe. Mr. Cobb retired in January 1940.

Bob Beach
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bob, any idea who Mr. Jobes was?

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

My girlfriend can actually read the Hussy letter better than I, perhaps I can get a translation this weekend.

Translation:

Dear Mr. Jobus,
Many thanks for yours of October 19th, contents carefully noted, would have written you before, had I not met with accident, breaking bone in my right ankle, however, and glad to report progress and that I am able to sit up and take a little nourishment.
Am enclosing your account for a pair of guns, (12 bores) dispatched October 22 and I hope have arrived safely, meeting with your entire approval.

I may venture (?) to ask you to be kind enough to draw the attention of your..

end of page.

Do something more interesting with the girlfriend this weekend! ;-)

Rs,
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Beach
James S. Cobb was the vice-president of A&F at the time the letter was written. When Ezra Fitch retired as president in 1928, James Cobb became president and 1929 began an expansion program by purchasing Von Lengerke & Detmold, Von Lengerke & Antoine, and Griffin & Howe. Mr. Cobb retired in January 1940.

Bob or anyone for that matter:
Are you aware of any detailed published study that's ever been done of these firms?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Kerryman, perhaps you'd care to translate the rest?

Here's what I have of the original exchange, starting with a letter from Hussey to A&F while he was in NYC, I imagine at the Commodore.

Then A&F's response from Cobb...

and finally Hussey's 4 page almost 2 years from England....perhaps Kerryman can enlighten us.

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 06/15/09 12:00 AM.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BTW, I also have an exchange between Jeffery's and A&F, it's in the rifle section of this BBS.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would the letter need to be translated when it is already written in English?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I not sure of that handwriting, Kerryman is more comfortable with it.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

The letters appear to have come from some A&F files since they are the signed originals from England and unsigned carbons of the A&F replies (including the Jeffrey letters posted on the rifles page). Griffin & Howe is the custodian of many of the firearms sales records and other documents pertaining to A&F but all of the documents are from after 1929 - when A&F purchased VL&D, VL&A and G&H. We have nothing from the period before 1929 other than documents from VL&D and VL&A. It would be most interesting to know if there were any other A&F documents available. Do you know if the deceased gentleman might have gotten these letters when A&F finally closed its doors in 1977 or at some time before then? Is there any way to find out if there might be more of the early records in existence?

I have not prevously come across the name Jobes as related to A&F. We have about 20 years worth of internal A&F newsletters but they begin in 1944. By then Jobes may have been gone from A&F. I'm indexing the newsletters now as time permits.

I know of no detailed history of the various companies associated with A&F. In 2004 Bob Christensen did an excellent 2-part series on VL&D and VL&A for Hunting & Fishing Collectibles Magazine. Back copies are available from the publisher and are well worth the cost. Justus 'Butz' Von Lengerke III wrote a biography of his grandfather, Justus Von Lengerke, that profiles the history of VL&D and Justus' contributions to the acceptance of smokeless powder in this country. Copies are rare and expensive. David Petzal did an informative article on A&F that appeared in Shot Business magazine a few years ago. The first four A&F newsletters had a 4-part history of A&F but spent a lot of space on the non-firearms merchandise. And finally, Otis Love Guernsey wrote a history of A&F when he was president in 1957. At some point I hope to combine the information from all of these sources into just such a history. When time permits.

Bob Beach
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.