June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (fuhrmann, Drew Hause, 1 invisible), 414 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts547,004
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recoil Rob,
The four page reply refers to a letter from Jobes dated October 19th, so you are missing some correspondence, hence the long gap.

GregSy, transcription, rather than translation is the correct word if we want to nit-pick. A very common problem for many in deciphering text is that the brain, concentrating on text, looses the sense/context of the content. I suffer from it;-)

At least Husssey had the decency to apologise for his writing in his P.S. – he writes like a cat!

Here is a like to a photo of the Hussey premises at 62 St James Street. http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1301/2198.php I guess it is much the same now as then. Those premises are near present-day William Evans and also near the new-ish Berretta showrooms - know where the shops are so I don't bother with numbers, Google will do it for you.

Those letters are an interesting historical insight on the Anglo-US gun trade of the time and shows how a UK maker approached the US market.

Here is the full text(the underlined bits prolly won't come through...)
Rs
K.

Dear Mr. Jobes,
Many thanks for yours of October 19th, contents carefully noted, would have written you before, had I not met with accident, breaking bone in my right ankle, however, and glad to report progress and that I am able to sit up and take a little nourishment.
Am enclosing your account for a pair of guns, (12 bores) dispatched October 22 and I hope have arrived safely, meeting with your entire approval.
I may venture to ask you to be kind enough to draw the attention of your

Cont’d
accountant to our account, guess you do not want to lose the cash discount?
What is the verdict on the Over and Under? Hope all satisfactory.
What do you think of my visiting places of interest in the States with (Mr.??) Wilbur, where all the gun folk gather, taking with us a show of guns, all orders required to pass through A & F, they paying Rail and Hotel exes.
Is there any demand for a plainer gun for duck shooting? To sell at about Sixty five guineas here, retail, and another

Cont’d
for beginners to sell at about Fifty guineas? Please let me know, might consider the manufacturing of same, although not at all sure, but think if there is the trade to be done we might have it.

Weapons would be just simple and plain, Hammerless Ejectors, those for Duck Shooting, being made in 10, and 12 bore calibre, 30” in barrels, the other in 16, and 20 Bore, 28inch Barrels, orders would have to be for not less than Half Dozen at time, for either, and only length of Barrels as above would be supplied.

Cont’d
A full and early acknowledgement to this would be esteemed a favour.
Trusting business is good and that you and yours are all well, with kindest regards,
I am,
Yours very truly,
H. H. Hussey.
P.S. excuse writing, the best I can do under existing conditions.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Kerryman, and I stand corrected, a transcription it is.

Bob, I found the letters among some books and papers left behind when my good friend Zeke Hunter passed away last month. Although he was a fine gun collector (and a collector of everything else it seems) I do not believe he had any connection with A&F other than being a customer. There are several catalogs from the 1970's and a few lists from the A&F used Gunroom also.

The papers were found with other papers addresses to a Mr. Barnes of Pleasantville, NY. He may have had some connection to A&F, I don't know.

I'm happy to share what I have with you.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.