September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, Marshgrass, SKB, MattH, 2 invisible), 576 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,839
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

What is the correct sight picture for open sights. I have a bead for sight on the Heinrich Munch with a reat open V sight with a U notch in the bottom of the V.

The instinctive sight picture is to place the bead in the U so it is all visible with the bull on top of the bead - ie so the shots fall just to the top of the V.

When I try this, its grouping 9inches high at 80 yds. Solution is to either install a taller front blade, lower the rear notch or change to a lower velocity ammo.

But before I start playing - is my sight picture correct. Must admit to not havig used open sights very much - all rifle shooting has been with either a scope, or with aperture target sights.

Many thanks

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The sight picture should look like the round bead is snugged into the U or lowest part of the V, without hiding any of the bead with the rear sight. With this sight picture, the point of impact should be on the top edge of the bead at the range for which you've sighted it with the ammunition you intend to hunt with (and this should be your "stopping" load, in the case of a dangerous game rifle).

Sight pictures are a relative thing, being quite subjective and depending greatly on the shooter doing the aiming - hence, it should not alarm that your rifle is not shooting where you aim. In this case, it is a simple matter to file in the rear sight, though this may take the better part of an afternoon. Disregard all the highbrow hooey about fine rifles being "regulated"; they are "on" for the one doing the shooting and that's it. Get some small files and have at the rear sight slowly, while at the range. File the rear sight in the direction you want the shots to go - in your case, down. When you're done, polish a bit w/ emery cloth and stones, use one of the touch up bluing products on your work (it won't show much).

Even on a dangerous game rifle, I don't want the rifle sighted much less than 100 yards. This will admittedly depend on the caliber and intended use. On a .458 or similar, 100 yards would be my choice; on a .375, I'd prefer about 150 yards. The big thing here is not to sight in too far out such that your tragectory remains fairly close to line of sight (you'll not have to worry over mid range misses). Don't hedge your bet and file down only part way, thinking you'll just hold low. Nobody holds low in a tight spot, nor do they take a fine bead - nearly everybody will tend to shoot high.

Hope this is useful.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.