September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, Marshgrass, SKB, MattH, 2 invisible), 576 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,839
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

Am new to the shooting of a combination gun. How sensitive are they to you touching the barrel when shooting. I know that on a bolt action rifle, particularly with a free floating barrel even light finger pressure on the barrel can through a shot off by several inches.

With a combo / drilling given the support of the adjacent barrels are they less sensitive to hand touch or resting barrel on a soft support etc.

With my new over an under combination gun (Heinrich Munch) I am conscious that given my longish arms and short forend I am tending to hold it on the barrels - indeed with a shotgun I use an English style hold with my forearm quite straight gripping the barrels of either a side by side or over and under.

Yes the right answer is to get out there and test it, but at £2 per bang and difficulty in getting ammo would rather ask if somebody else knows the answer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never seen a rifle that could be moved 2 inches at 100yds by touching the barrel free floating or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by Mike Harrell

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even if what you had heard about free-floating barrels were true (something I've never heard of nor seen)consider that the rifle barrel on a combination gun is held in place by two ribs connecting it to the shotgun barrel with hard solder. I'd say it would be impossible to grip the barrels hard enough to make them flex and effect accuracy.

Best

Nick

Sidelock
Sidelock

A combination gun such as you describe was designed to be used by a jaeger as a rifle rather than a game gun. The shotgun barrel was there to deal with a fox, marder, or even stray cat while the hunter sat a high seat for roe or boar. Fit, in the British sense of the word, wasn't particularly relevent.

It was (is) more important on a drive hunt where feather and fur would be encountered. For such a hunt, the drilling was the better solution. In that case, fit would be more important for use of the shotgun. But even in this case, the rifle would not have been an issue. For that boar at 70 meters, one needs to "aim" that rifle, not point it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Handle the gun (at the range) as you would in the field.

Everyone I know and most I've seen who handle double rifles and combination guns / cape guns -- they grip the barrels forward of the forend wood.

If you're shooting from a bench, set up in a position that is as similar to your standing field position as possible. Grip the gun as you would, and if you must use a rest, use only a rest under the back of your support hand.
This way the rifle can recoil as it would naturally and will print your targets in as similar fashion as it would in the field as possible.

Have fun with it!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

A curious thing with shooting the rifle barrel in a drilling type combination is that if you fire quite a few shots and the rifle barrel heats up and the shotgun barrels remain cool it will begin to walk its shots up the target. As the rifle barrel heats it will expand against the cool shotgun barrels and bend very slightly upwards much in the way of a bi-metallic strip in a thermostat. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Heym..
Er,exactly how short is your, er..Forend?
Franc

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.