June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (Sun Dog, SKB, battle, bigblock, eeb, 1 invisible), 302 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,623
Posts547,099
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#162740 10/01/09 09:49 PM
OP Offline

Has anyone imported a shotgun from England recently? The narrow question is whether guns under 2000 dollars still can be delivered via US mail or whether the switch from using the Royal Mail to a carrier system for export from England ended that possibility. Thanks.

david vandercoy
Sidelock
Sidelock

No guns can be shipped via royal mail. All must go by air freight now. Cost around £250 minimum freight. I'm an importer, that's how I have to do it. Don't forget the BATF form 6 if it's post 1898.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you could almost go over there and bring one back almost as cheap as shipping one over by air freight.

OP Offline

Mike,
As I read the custom regulations, that change would mean shotguns from England cannot be delivered via U.S. mail anymore.
Is that your experience? Any suggestions on how to import without having to make a trip to the customs office? Thanks to all for the responses. Jon, yes I should take a vacation and be my own carrier also but I bet there are rules about doing so.

i

david vandercoy
LD1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a double rifle at auction in England about 8 months ago as an absentee bidder. I had it shipped to the Pittsburgh, Pa airport. The cost was about $ 350.00 (US) for packaging and shipping. The rifle cost just under $5000.00 and was built in 1892. When it gets to the air freight terminal you need to go to the terminal and pick up the papers for it and take them to customs. If the gun is pre 1898 there is no problem; they will fill out the paper work for you to give to the shipper for pick up. There will be about a total $40.00 charge from customs and the shipper before they hand it to you. I don't know what goes on if the gun is post 1898. If the gun is pre 1898 I would definitely not go through a broker, it's not worth it. They can add hundreds of dollars to the shipping cost by charging you for what you can easily do yourself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had excellant results bringing doubleguns across the pond. John Farugia of Cheshire Gun Room handles everything from picking up from the seller or the auction house, all the paperwork, packing and shipping. If gunsmithing is required he does that for me as well and reasonable. I have figured that the total average cost per gun is @ $150 USD. For modern guns (post 1898) I have to fill out the BATF Form 6. The guns are delivered to my office by common carrier. John can be reached at 011 44 161 480 8222. E-mail info@cheshiregunroom.com. Address: 29 Buxton Road, Heavily, Stockport, SK2 6LS - UK RFDG/M210.

George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the risk of complicating the generally very good advice given above, I would add the following:
All guns now need to be shipped to the US and there are several good people who can arrange this for you: John Farugia mentioned above is one; PAR Freight and PDQ Freight who are both located near Heathrow and are both highly experienced with this stuff.
Pre 1897 guns are easy, they can be shipped without an individual UK export licence by anyone with a suitable UK Open General Licence and can be picked up from the chosen US International with a minumum of expence and fuss. Alternatively they can be cleared and shipped to you by a customs broker but you will pay for the service.
Guns made in 1897 and 1898 require an export licence from the UK and an 'End User Undertaking'. This doesn't really involve any expence but must be brokered by someone with access to 'SPIRE' the UK online export licencing system so probably some charges will be made.
Guns made after 1898 require the above plus a 'broker to clear your gun in the US plus an FFL to recieve it for you.
One thing that is not common knowledge is that as a 'occasional importer' the purchaser effectively becomes the importer rather than the FFL. Therefore an ordinary FFL can recieve the gun on your behalf rather than having to use an 'Importer FFL'.
A special Form 6 is issued in these circumstances which has NOT FOR RE-SALE stamped across it.
I have imported a 1920's shotgun to a client in Texas within the last few weeks and the charges were $250 for UK-US shipping and UK Customs procedures plus $323 for the customs broker including duty (at about 3.5% on $2500.
I hope this helps.
Toby Barclay,
Heritage Guns

Sidelock
Sidelock

Briley is very good at this, give them a call.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby, above, is also very good at this.

OP Offline

Thanks everyone. George,I read your response as indicating you do not use a broker to clear customs but that the guns are delivered directly to you. Is that the case regardless of value? Thanks again to everyone for all the information.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.