September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Karl Graebner, Travis S, FelixD, Drew Hause, 1 invisible), 325 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,907
Posts550,629
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

One of the young fellows from my workplace had been helping me out with preparing foundations for my shed, so the pay-back was a hunting trip 'down the track' to try for a buffalo last Sunday. The buff and boar hunting is usually long-finished in Australia's 'Top End' by December, with the onset of the wet season, but this year it's been holding off. The temperature and humidity have not, however!

We planned to do 'the usual', ie hunt up one creek-line for 6 or 8 kilometres, skirt the escarpment, then hunt back down an adjacent valley. After an hour or so of walking, we encountered fresh pig sign, and it wasn't long before Pez jumped a lone hog out of a muddy wallow. His shot with the borrowed .416 Taylor was just a little hasty and the boar took off at top speed. I had been walking the higher ground, so had a good view of the proceedings from about 70 metres away.

Following the bolting boar over the sights of my Jeffery .400 double, I waited for either the boar to falter, or a follow-up shot from Pez, but neither had occurred by the time I had a clear arc of fire so I gave the fleeing animal about a foot and a half of lead, and slapped the front trigger. Down he went in a cloud of dust! It was a very satisfying off-hand shot, right through the boiler-room. Turns out the initial shot had registered a hit but passed low through the shoulder, superficially cutting the brisket rather than entering the chest cavity.

The second boar was rather an anti-climax by comparison. He was also wallowing but had not yet detected my presence. As I snuck up to the last tree-trunk about 15 metres short of his position, he heard Pez crunch a dry Pandanus frond across the gully, and pricked up his ears. That was the signal for the Jeffery to break the silence once again.

At the very top of the little valley, the last series of spring-fed wallows also showed promise with fresh buff sign everywhere. Pez took the lead, and the very last muddy pool was occupied: not by a buffalo, but yet another good boar. The unfortunate animal never made it out of the water! Pez's perfect shot smashed the spine, passed through the chest, and lodged low in the off-side shoulder. I've never seen a Woodleigh 'Weldcore' so trashed as that recovered bullet! Simply devastating!

The walk down the adjacent creek-line during the afternoon was bloody hot, sweltering in fact, with the mercury at 40 degrees celcius and about 80% humidity by 3pm! Sadly, the return walk was also uneventful. Still, if the young fella gets his buffalo, I'll lose my bargaining chip, and I need a strong back on the wheel-barrow when we pour that slab in a week or so!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the good read.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marrakai,

Wish I was with you all, heat notwithstanding...

Best of the Season, Tim

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.