June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (WJW, Argo44), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,172
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ROMAC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All other things being equal, how much of a hit do you apply to value when looking at a nice but low to mid grade gun that has either been sleeved or lined with no reproof or documentation as to who did the work or when it was done?

I'm looking at best a $1,000- $1,200 Damascus hammergun and am hoping to get some advice as to what would be resonable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ROMAC: More info will be helpful. There's a big difference between sleeving and relining, with the former being more common; a relined damascus gun will still have it's original barrels and their typical damascus pattern will be discernable (unless someone blued them to make them look like fluid steel), while a sleeved gun will have fluid steel tubes and the first few inches at the breech end, although still the original damascus steel, will have been blued to match the rest of the barrels.

Too many other factors will affect the value of a gun to know if that's a good deal, but an argument can be made that a good sleeving job certainly increases the value of a gun with worn-out barrels, and that some shooters will prefer new barrels over old ones, even in good shape, because they can shoot more types of ammo (steel, higher pressures, etc.), at least if the rest of the gun can handle it.

You should also be aware that whoever paid for the sleeving probably spent more than $1,200 for that work alone. One more factor to consider is that sleeving jobs vary ... a good job is nearly invisible and the new tubes are the proper weight, but some sleeving jobs throw off the balance of the gun and make it barrel-heavy. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

ROMAC, most any gun sound enough to shoot safely and reliably will be worth near $1000. Sleeved barrels,and for that price I'd bet you are talking sleeved, not lined, give all guns a big whack. Due to the variability of sleeving work, it is hard to pin down exacting values. Post detailed photos and/or take it to a skilled double gun person. The more information, the more we can pin it down.

ROMAC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I can send pics and give details if you pm me your email address.

I'd rather not put details out in the open at this time. The seller has made several mistakes in the description of this gun and I've had to pull teeth to get what I have.

For instance, according to their in house gunsmith sleeving and lining are the same exact thing - don't ja know!

Sidelock
Sidelock

don.amos@conti-na.com

ROMAC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Email sent, thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.