May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (LRF, Hammergun, skeettx), 656 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,323
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm. The 21 is worn and the Parker isn't. I guess he used the one he liked the best. The Duck grade is getting very rare also. If you duck hunted with him, which one did you see him use?....... Or maybe you could pick one and try to buy the other off of your cousin if you wanted. I did watch an older gent shooting skeet last Wednesday with a beautiful 20 gauge Parker and he didn't miss a bird while I was watching him. Tough choice. Then again, what will you use it for? If you are going to use it, I would go with the one that fits you best and handles the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd take the Parker. If you don't like your cousin, offer to buy the 21. Both are quality guns, but the Parker would be my pick, easily. JL

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

An early 21 or a Parker that is within about 2000 guns of the last Parkers made? Seems to be an easy choice to me. The Parker wins hands down in my opinion. It has all the attributes of an all around sxs for waterfowl, pheasants, SC and trap as well. If the chokes are too tight send it to Mike Orlen to turn it into a gun you will use for everything. A Parker that late should fit you well enough 'right out of the box'. Enjoy your new Parker and thank your uncle each time you use it.

10-Bore Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all the comments. The decision involved here was never about monetary value because this gun will remain in the family. At the moment I am leaning towards the Parker because of better fit and the great balance. There is also a 1937 catalog with the gun and information in the back pages shows a Parker with these options and high stock being setup for trap, but I'm sure it will work just fine on ducks, geese, and upland birds, I know my Uncle used it for all of the above.

I see no real disadvantage to the 32" barrels for the kind of shooting I do, and I would never open the f/f chokes. if I need open chokes for Skeet or close up work in heavy hunting cover, I have other guns for that type of shooting.

The Winchester 21 and Parker are both quality shotguns and I would like to own them both, but my cousin has already made it clear he has no interest in selling or trading the gun he receives.

The Parker fits very well, and that combined with the memory of a big smile on my Uncles face when he shot it is good enough for me. I don't know how many Winchester "Duck" model 21's were produced over the years, but I have a feeling there were probably far less Parker trap guns like this one made. Then again, I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Regards, 10-B

Last edited by 10-Bore; 12/11/06 11:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your next quest is to send for a Research Letter from the Parker Gun Collector's Association. That booklet probably came with the gun when it was purchased or was picked up by him and inspired the purchase of the Parker.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.