June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (montenegrin, LeFusil), 564 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,581
Posts546,690
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are the Ithaca/SKB guns barrels hot blued or rust blued? I don't have it in hand, a friend of a friend is inquiring about one he has that needs rebluing and he has asked what type would be most proper on that gun (as well as safe in the long term).
thanks very much,
Dave

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have one in for repair right now and will look at the barrels tomorrow. If memory serves me correctly it looks like the barrels where textured (something akin to bead blasted) and hot dip blued but I will double check.

You could never go wrong having them rust blued and it would be a longer lasting finish.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I believe the barrels on those guns were coated with something like a "black chrome" finish. I had a set of Ithaca/SKB 100 barrels rust blued, it proved to be rather difficult for the gunsmith. He could not get the barrles to rust/black evenly and the mono-block joint remained a silverish color after many rustings. I believe the steel has a high chromium content, thus making rust bluing pretty difficult. I'm not a metalsmith or metallurgist so I'm just speculating here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have rust blued them with no problem. The monoblock joint can be an issue but that is due to oil comming out of the joint. Next time I'm gunna try cleaning the joint area in an ultrasonic cleaner. I have heard of SKBs with black chrome but the guns I have worked on were blued and bluing was removed like any other. Could be that all SKBs are not created equal.

I hade a CZ in a while back that had some kind of propriatory black on it. The black could not be removed with bluing remover and the spots that were worn silver could not be rusted. I contacted CZ and was told that there was nothing that could be done it was a propriatory finsh that was not field repairable.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all--Is there any way to tell whether a new blue job will "stick" before stripping off what remains of the old bluing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is true that many if not most of the Ithaca-SKB's were black chromed. There was a good article about them in Double Gun Journal about a year or two ago. It was stated that they where all black chromed. I own two model 100's and a 200E. The 200E is chromed and one of the 100's. The other is blued. The blued one was bought new by me in 1970 so was made in 1969 or earlier. It is odvious that the one is blued when you put them side by side. I also have a friend that has a model 100 that is blued. His must be very early as it has only one locking bolt instead of the double bolt that you normally see. I believe that the blued guns where hot blued. The solder that joins the barrels of an SKB is some type of silver solder and could take it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original finish was hard chrome, I bet it is still there. How to color it is the question.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect the reason I have only come accross the blued guns is that the chrome ones don't need blueing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned several SKB's over the last 35 years and I believe the first few were blued,most of the production black chromed, and the last few were again blued.Apparently near the end of production the black chroming process was deemed to be extremely toxic and discontinued.Most of the guns were also chromed inside both the barrels and most of the action parts. I did however have one Model 100 that had the barrels black chromed outside but not chromed inside and another that was blued outside and chromed inside.Go figure.Regardless of finish they are amazing guns that stand up to serious use.I don't know what type of steel they used in the barrels and actions but they are very tough as I have put all manner of loads through these guns and they show very little sign of wear.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, so it sounds like the odds are in favor of this gun being black chromed. Apparently this is a gun that was inside a house that burned down. I know that the fire-retardant chemical in the water boiling off often is what causes problems with guns in a fire, but though I have not seen it myself I'm told this gun is not pitted but the barrels "need to be reblued". Perhaps the chrome is what saved it??? At any rate, the gun has some sentimental value to the owner and he would like to attempt to have it put right...assuming the gun is in decent working order and the barrels are chromed, is there anything he can do to refinish the barrels?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.