September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (JulesW, MattH, shrapnel, Reidy, R Reynolds, 1 invisible), 487 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,868
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just got back my dad's old 16 ga. Springfield-Stevens SxS Model 215 hammer gun last week from my dad's hunting buddy (now in his 80's, Dad is 92). He bought it from my dad 60 years ago, and when I expressed interest in the gun, he gave it to me! I think the gun was made around 1930-32.

While shooting clays with 1 oz. RGL's, there were no problems closing the gun or extracting the just-fired hulls. When I put two empty hulls back in the gun as snap caps, the gun was hard to close and even harder to open. Is it possible that this gun has 2-9/16" chambers? If so, would that explain why it is so hard to close and open with empty hulls? Would shorter chambers result in tighter patterns with 2-3/4" shells than one might expect? The barrels had been cut off to 20". I patterned it, and the pattern was about 18" in diameter at 15 yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely due to the date of manufacture, the chambers are 2 9/16" The likely reason for the mishap with the used shells:
1. Were these hulls fired in this gun? If not they would probably work if resized
2. If they were fired in the gun, they were "warm" when you removed them, once they cooled down and the brass had a chance to stretch it was probably large enough to fit very tight.
3. Remember to shoot lower pressure shells in this gun, and enjoy!!
4. Most likely the patterns would not be much tighter with shells only 3/16" too long, however the pressure would most certainly spike. Remember shells that are made now with modern wads pattern much tighter than shells with the old style wad columns. This gun if patterned at 30-40 would likely have some large holes.

PS fired hulls are not the best choice for snap caps, the dead primer does not provide much cushion. An inexpensive pair can be purchased for well under 20 bucks, and are a good investment.

It's a great story, shoot the gun and enjoy it, take care of it, and pass 'er on down. Just feed it some light (pressure) loads and she will be your good friend for another 80+ years.

Last edited by Steve I.; 01/24/10 08:26 PM.

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
Sidelock

Using fired hulls as snap caps is a very bad idea. The fired primers do not provide much cushion to the firing pins and it's a dangerous safety practice. The habit could result in unintentionally leaving two live shells in the gun. Either way, It will scare the hell out of your shooting partners and should be against the rules at any range run by some thinking people.
Be safe, real snap caps are very cheap.
There's no reason for snap caps in a hammer gun, anyway. Simply let the hammers down on empty chambers.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 01/24/10 08:30 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Consider using some lower pressure loads in the old girl, rather than the RGLs, the gun will stay "Tight" much longer.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Dad's hunting buddy cut the barrels off to shoot rats at the local grain elevator where he worked for many years. Dad said he bought it new at a small town hardware store. It had been on the shelf "for a long time" and he got it for $15.00. Still a lot of money during the Depression. I think the retail price then was about $22.00. Dad said it was his first "brand new" shotgun and the only gun with which he got his daily limit on quail.

As for the used hulls, they were shot in the gun. I have commercial snap caps in all of my other guns. I used the empty hulls as a stop-gap until I can purchase a set for it. Actually, my dad replaces spent primers with pencil erasers to use as snap caps. He sas done that for as long as I can remember and has never had a problem. Are snap caps a necessity when dry-firing hammer guns?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just completed a little experiment. I took two of the empty hulls that were fired in the gun and trimmed them back about an inch. When I put either shortened hull in the right barrel the gun closed OK. When I put them in the left barrel it was very hard to close. When I rotated the hulls about 180 degrees in the left barrel it closed OK. I put the hull back in the right barrel, rotated the hulls 180 degrees and the gun would not close. Apparently the hulls are being distorted during firing. I did notice that there is a very small burr on the top and bottom of the lower left extractor tang. The burrs appear to line up with the exposed firing pin.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.