September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Jtplumb, mel5141, Dan S. W., 2 invisible), 547 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,864
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

As stated I also believe it is a dealer to dealer thing. I recently sold a few safe queens and some FFLs required my DL and some didn't. What I somewhat could gather was the DL made them feel better about the firearm not being stolen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jjames
As stated I also believe it is a dealer to dealer thing. I recently sold a few safe queens and some FFLs required my DL and some didn't. What I somewhat could gather was the DL made them feel better about the firearm not being stolen.

You are obviously correct about the "dealer to dealer" thing. However, we're talking about the laws here, or should be. Traffic cops don't, or shouldn't, make up their own laws and neither should FFL people.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate all of the feedback, Mr. Legg' well put. I truly believe we have enough gun laws and requirements without the dealers making more rules. With ID theft on the rise, many of us do not like having this information on them going to places or to people we have never met.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

as Steven said....this is why many of us FFL holders do not wish to take transfers from individuals. Oddly, most of us who have gone to the trouble of getting a license would like to keep that license. Why would I want to have a transfer on my books without a record of your drivers license? I don't. I run a business and provide a service, if it is too much trouble for you to provide a photo copy of your license, you are not someone I want to provide my service for. There is no conspiracy here folks, just some of us trying to keep the doors open. I take a copy of every drivers license I do a 4473 on. It only makes sense that on the inbound side of my books I have either an FFL or a drivers license to show for each gun. Just my viewpoint, but if you do not want to play by my rules, find another ffl or get your own.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
Just ship FFL to FFL. That way it's out of your hands.

That just increases the cost of the transaction for no good reason. I know some really good FFL's, but I have also tried to deal with a bunch of others who are dumb as a bag of rocks. Even if the regs were easily understood, some of these guys would just not get it. As in any business, half of them are dumber than average.

Gun dealers are no different than any other slice of the population. Some are brilliant people with higher education, some not so much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How does a drivers license for someone who is in another state and not in front of you to compare the picture/info provide any protection? Even if the gun is stolen,you didn't sell it and the person who stole it and sold is not going to give you "his" drivers license to put in your bound book.

FFL's can make up whatever rules they want to do business,the buyers choice who they want to deal with.
A drivers license or FFL is no "legally" required by federal law.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
My recollection is that the FFL holder has to record who the gun came from. There is no requirement on how he is to establish "who" it came from. But, I beleive a copy of a legal ID has been a precendent that ATF has accepted as the recieving FFL having done 'due diligence' in establishing ID.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My bank now requires that a customer swipe their drivers license thru a reader when getting service. I've asked the bank personnel and the number of licenses they get that are bogus under even this type of situation is appalling. Being in the South West we naturally have a big Illegal problem and a corresponding big business in providing false identifications.
I have to agree that someone sending in their drivers license is NO guarantee that it's the same individual doing the firearms transfer and even if it was a face to face transaction the license could still be fake.
jim.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the ATF site;
Page 67;

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps41631/2005/p53004.pdf
"The purchase or other
acquisition of a firearm shall, except as
provided in paragraph (g) of this section,
be recorded not later than the close of the
next business day following the date of
such purchase or acquisition. The record
shall show the date of receipt, the name
and address or the name and license
number of the person from whom received,
the name of the manufacturer and
importer (if any), the model, serial number,
type, and the caliber or gauge of the firearm
"

A DL may be a handy way to do it but it is not required,just name a adress, in transaction Phillip is involved in,especially as a "claw back" requirment after the deal was done.
For a in person sale with a 4473,yes a DL would be the way to do it but for guns recieved through the mail it is not required nor does it offer any protection IMO.If it where me,and I was unlicensed I would just call the guy and see what and why he wants it,perhaps it could be straightend out over the phone when both parties understand what the other wants.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave K
From the ATF site;
Page 67;

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps41631/2005/p53004.pdf
"The purchase or other
acquisition of a firearm shall, except as
provided in paragraph (g) of this section,
be recorded not later than the close of the
next business day following the date of
such purchase or acquisition. The record
shall show the date of receipt, the name
and address or the name and license
number of the person from whom received,
the name of the manufacturer and
importer (if any), the model, serial number,
type, and the caliber or gauge of the firearm
"

A DL may be a handy way to do it but it is not required,just name a adress, in transaction Phillip is involved in,especially as a "claw back" requirment after the deal was done.
For a in person sale with a 4473,yes a DL would be the way to do it but for guns recieved through the mail it is not required nor does it offer any protection IMO.If it where me,and I was unlicensed I would just call the guy and see what and why he wants it,perhaps it could be straightend out over the phone when both parties understand what the other wants.

Good stuff, Dave. To get into the logic of the intention, it doesn't matter if the seller is "Jack the Ripper". What matters is that the transferee(the buyer, for folks from Rio Linda) passes the background check. I've met Steve and I know he's a good guy but we can respectfully disagree on this one. I will not deal with an FFL who makes up his own "rules". That said, I DO understand the concern for keeping your license in good standing. For the same reason, I would never ask an FFL holder or seller/buyer to do anything shady or illegal. Following the ACTUAL laws are all anyone needs to do. Sorry to beat this to death but it's one of my favorite topics. Comes up frequently.
Thanks to all,

> Jim Legg <

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.