September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (battle, ratt), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,905
Posts550,609
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There has been some debate the last year or so as to whether or not the American Gun Company would actually produce any highwalls. They are a sister company to McGowan barrels. Well, they have made at least one, and as many as 19 if their serial numbers are sequential. The reason I know that is that I have received No 19. I put it on Gunbroker auction # 159153752. It's a coil spring action with an octagon top. Feel free to comment on the action. It's made of 4140 steel. There are some cast parts, including the lever and the hammer, and probably most of the internal parts. The action is pretty smooth, but the outside of the frame needs a good bit of polishing before it can be finished.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I talked with them the would only sell a barreled action, so this has changed? When and if they make a pistol grip and SST I might consider one although they look a bit crude to me.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Took a look at American's website, also of interest is that they are selling Zoli actions which copy the last Husqvarna action, with male dovetail shaped locking lugs. Otteson in "Bolt Actions" characterized the Husq action as the most advanced of the Mauser variants. I have one of the rifles in 6.5x55, the action is as slick as a Krag. The locking lugs slide in female dovetail grooves inside the receiver. Trigger is hard to adjust, however. Also, actions are priced at $550, it should be possible to find a complete Husky rifle for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would anyone sell it after waiting so long especially if it is "arguably the best"?
Why would they ask $1000 for an action when the company sells a brld action for$1050?
Why would they show it off on this site when it is offered for sale on an action site?
As for the action, it is a flat side, octagon top with an odd looking hammer made from a poor choice of steel.
I don't know who you are VOL423, but this is a bit beyond self-serving.

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who says I only bought one action? They do make a pistol grip. I have those also. I forgot that only regulars are allowed to subtly commercialize here. How gauche of me!

Last edited by Vol423; 02/26/10 06:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I visited the company in august 2009, very nice people
They told me that the HW was initial made for hunters hence here is where the market are but they would develop the DST within a couple of month.
They also have an export license so they can ship abroad.
At the point of my visit they had not decided if they would sell the action alone but they were looking that way if the crowd wanted it.

To me they were very competent people both in the barrel section and in the gunsmith department with a lot of investment in new machinery.

Michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

My question is, do any of their parts interchange with original high wall parts? Does anyone know?
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My impression is at this juncture the guns are individually hand built, not exactly a high volune, interchangeble part, Eli Whitney inspired system. When they get to the point where the actions are mostly machine with the right tolerances they can begin to increase volume in anticipation of increased demand. Right now I can see visible differences in consecutive numbered actions. I understand that they will bring the entire production in-house soon in order to make that happen.

By the way, SDH, I don't know who you are either and I'm fine with that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Deleted

Parris George

Last edited by parris; 02/27/10 08:39 PM.

GOOD SHOOTING! Parris George
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't matter who I am. That action for $1000 is a bad joke. As is the attempt to profit from it.
Just the way the hammer sits in the action tells you something is strange?! I'd hate to be the first one to try and figure it out!
Obviously the seller isn't going to be of any help.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.