June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (j7l2, HalfaDouble, susjwp, skeettx, eeb, 1 invisible), 508 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,581
Posts546,690
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181474 03/06/10 12:56 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone here tried Vaseline Lip Therapy for hinge-pin lube?
It comes in a handy tube and I don't see that there's anything in it that would harm gun parts. Your thoughts or experiences?
Thank you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. Just put a spot of Mobile 1 Universal synthetic on one, can't see a reason to use anything else.
An empty 35mm film container, half full of same lube, with a toothpick stuck in it, has been my "traveler" for many seasons.
Stable proven, superior lubrication.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Birthday Jim, hope you have a wonderful day.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy Birthday, Jim....

Ted told you right with the Mobil One Universal, as it is about as good, and probably better, than most anything on our local shelves. What you're looking for is a grease with a higher Timkin rating of 60-70 which translates into much 'tackiness'. When touched with a finger tip, the grease should produce a long, fine stringer or thread of several inches.

That sort of grease stays put on the knuckle and does not ooze out under the thrust or load of firing - which does occur, contrary to some opinion. Because it is so 'tacky', it needs to be wiped off and replaced each cleaning session to avoid grit/dust accumulating.....which you probably already know anyway.

All Best,

Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy birthday, Jim
from your friend in Belgium.
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Feliz Cumpleaños, Jaime
From your friend in Chile.
JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good morning! Thank you all for the kind wishes. My thought with the little tubes of vaseline was not that I had discovered a BETTER lube but merely an OK lube in a nice, handy package. I have dozens of them, from trips to the horsepistol, over the last year. I actually have Mobil 1 grease and will fill some little syringes I collected from the same wonderful trips. Another handy container/lube is Engine Assembly Lube, from Auto Zone. It's a very tacky, clear grease, similar to STP. Dozens of greases will work. If I use anything like Anti-sieze or moly, I'll be wearing it so I like to stay with something clear. I'm mainly always looking for handy packaging. I certainly agree that cleaning the old grease off and replacing it with new, frequently, is the best habit. The film container is another good idea, from Ted.

At least my two Lefevers are older than me!
Thanks to all, from the "old geezer"

I've also used Super Lube for many years. A friend at Marksman told me they lube the springs in their spring-air guns for lube and sound/vibration dampening. I did the same and one grease gun tube is a lifetime supply.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/06/10 11:52 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim
Have a great day. Never met you, and as I am from Canada, not likely to meet on the street!
Just a note, I have found that the rubber tip in those medical syringes does not respond well to petroleum products - same effect as silicone implants, if you get my drift. Unfortunately, the old style glass syringes are no longer used and almost impossible to find.
Hmmm...Maybe a substitute piston without the rubber tip would be the answer.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a great birthday Jim.
And J C: I hope the situation is improving in your Country!!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Boxlock
Boxlock

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ez-49.htm

I really like this product. It's available in a convenient syringe and is "slightly" more technologically advances than Vaseline smile It's quite viscus for a grease but stays where you put it and stays viscus in extreme cold. I cleaned and then lubed my browning gold fusion with only this grease (usually only light oil is used on a semi auto) then placed the gun outside overnight at 3 degrees Fahrenheit . I took it goose hunting the next morning shot a limit of five and never had a malfunction the entire time max temp 10 degrees. Also because it is a clear grease the inside of your sidelocks look nice even with a light greasing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.