September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, SKB, MattH, 3 invisible), 310 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,923
Posts550,751
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Guys, would I be better off using a quality wood glue or should I use gel crazy glue ... your thoughts. tks Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends. Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) in its most common form is too thin to fill any gaps, so will work only if the chip is a perfect fit back into the void. If so, cyanoacrylate will work, but I recommend going to a hobby shop (RC airplanes or serious model trains) and buy the good stuff and a can of accelerator. They can explain how to best use the accelerator. If the fit is not perfect, they can also provide CA glue with a little more viscosity. If there are any gaps in the fit of the chip, you can use standard carpenter's glue (TiteBond or equivalent) and mix it with some appropriate sawdust and a bit of pigment (from the paint store) if necessary. If the gap is of any significance, use AcraGlass and tint to match the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First where is the chip? If it needs to be strong think about epoxy, much stronger for major repairs. Super glue gets brittle over time. If the chip is minor and just needs to be reattached then think about super glue. Use the medium thickness, it is easier to control and will give you good working time to get the chip in the exact spot. Thin will run all over the place and can setup in just a few seconds. Keep constant pressure on the chip for several minutes and the accelerator is not needed. Plus the glue line will be almost invisible.

I use all three types of super glue in making and finishing pens, all the time. Accelerator can give you white spots in the finish and for small repairs is not needed. Thick glue will often need accelerator just to setup. Thin penetrates well but is not very strong so if the chip is not a perfect fit it will chip again. Thick does fill gaps but any gap, even if you push fine sawdust into it, will look like crap. Dry fit the chip to make sure you have a perfect fit.

A trick to try is to use scotch tape to mask off the area next to the repair. It will protect that area and limit the potential glue mess so that the finished job will look much nicer. And last but not least gluing your fingers to the repair is not a sign of a good repair so keep some of your wife's nail polish remover nearby. DAHIKT, do not ask how I know this. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on the condition of the joint, accelerator can provide a stronger glue joint. Pics would help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What should one use on horn? Ive got a pair of FN grips on an old Browning pistol that cracked through the screw hole. TIA

h
Boxlock
Boxlock

I use Acraglas from Brownels to repair cracks at he head of the stock. It might work for you or it may be too thick. If it will work it is some super tuff stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Zap-A-Gap cyanoacralate for gunstock cracks, etc. Never have had one break loose after using it properly. Haven't had to buy any for awhile, but the last I bought was from Koval knives.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.