June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (griz, SKB, Lloyd3, eightbore, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,160
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19389 01/10/07 04:12 AM
OP Offline

Good day, Gentlemen

I'm planning on shaping an OU sporter stock to my dimensions, starting with an inletted blank. The woodworking and finishing shouldn't cause any special problems; however, I'm looking for some good literature or web links about stock fitting, giving more than only a basic idea on how to figure the proper dimensions out.

Rollin Oswald's book Stock Fitting Secrets gets mentioned frequently in this context; would this be a valuable source?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Frank

Last edited by Mr.Jones; 01/10/07 04:13 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd recommend Michael Yardley's book Gunfitting; the quest for perfection http://www.amazon.com/Gunfitting-Quest-P...TF8&s=books

It's a little 100 page book with invaluable points.

I'd also recommend you take an existing stock and modify it by glueing blocks of wood, Bondo'ing, or a combination of both. Then shoot the gun for a while and modify as needed. Once this is done and a shape/dimensions finalized, the "pattern" can be sent to a maker with a duplicating machine. This will save countless hours and possibly save you from messing up a good blank.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd go with ChuckH. Oswald's book, for me, was a tedious read with no amazing information. His approach is pedantic and repetitive. I have heard he is a good guy but he's no writer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I'd also recommend you take an existing stock and modify it by glueing blocks of wood, Bondo'ing, or a combination of both. Then shoot the gun for a while and modify as needed. Once this is done and a shape/dimensions finalized, the "pattern" can be sent to a maker with a duplicating machine. This will save countless hours and possibly save you from messing up a good blank.

If "results" trump an "academic understanding" of stock fit, Chuck's advice is spot on...

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the ticket. Four photos to save in the 'stocks' folder. Mr. Campbell's one page stock fitting book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PROFESSIONAL STOCKMAKING by David Wesbrook is a blow by blow account with pictures every step of the way on how to make a stock for a bolt action sporter. Lots of good tips that can be applied to doubles.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found Stock fitting Secrets to be an excellent read. After you read it, you may not need a custom stock. A rising comb acts as an adjustable rear sight depending on where you place your eye on the stock. Minor shooting stance adjustment was all I needed instead of a new stock.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those wide, fat, early Citori handles will make you wish you had your eye on a stock to adjust for windage. When they're lower and narrower, sometimes I can adopt the correct list to starb'd even with a slight bit of cast-on. I always thought drop was a way to get from cheek level to shoulder level without breaking your neck but I guess it's a ramp which could be used to advantage given square and side-on stances and longer or shorter stock lengths. Then there's Greener's rational stock. Don't see anyone bondoing on those. What could he have been thinking? Seems even less of a one-size-fits-all proposition. Rollin's pamphleteering is tedious but thought-provoking.

jack

OP Offline

Thanks a lot for the great input!

I'm currently still on the taping-, adding&rasping route and developed a basic idea at least about the proper dimensions. I'm evaluating the possibilities of a copy-turned blank but starting from scratch with an inletted blank will also be an option, just for all the fun involved. The planning goes for a future project, so there's plenty of time for gathering more information.

For the academic understanding of stock fitting, I completely agree; nothing beats trial and error. Mike Campbell's pictures certainly tell more than just reading some chapters and comparing angles.

It's true that adjusting the shooting stance can sometimes make a big difference. What I figured out so far is the need for a length of pull a tad over 15", length of trigger pull around 4" together with a rather steep grip angle and a parallel comb, drop around 1 ½ ". Regarding cast and pitch, I'm still experimenting.

I like the nautical approach to stock dimensions. No doubt about the importance of keeping the head on the stock and keeping it (the head, erh...) erect simultaneously, something to drive some novices crazy if no one cares to tell them at the same time that the neck will act as the adjusting link between the head and the stock.

I will have a look at the mentioned books.

Frank
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just got the David Wesbrook book from a guy in Phoenix, Mike Stegen http://www.gunbooksales.com/index.html Brand new for $54

Latest stock duplication from a modified original stock as a pattern.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.