Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ROMAC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently picked up a nicer than average Flues model B 12 gauge SXS, 26 inch factory barrels choked 1 & 4 (IC & FULL). I've always admired the simple yet classic style engraving on these and was wondering who gets the credit for the design/execution of the engraving. These and the 1 1/2's had an art deco look to them that just feels like the late teens and early 20's in america.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need to buy Walt's book on the Ithaca Gun Company. Great stuff in his book!!
By the way, beautiful gun you have there!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed, the acanthus leaf engraving on the 1 1/2 model Ithaca Flues is an outstanding example of period firearms engraving. The style is actually Art Nouveau. Your piece is another fine example. Knowledgeable folks count the Ithaca Flues among the finest box lock shotguns of all time. It certainly had the fastest lock time, bar none.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's one beautiful Flues, for sure. The problem with them, for most shooters today, is finding one that does not have a significant amount of drop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an Flues 20 gauge. It is one of my favourites as it is a light, great handling gun. You have a very nice example there of American history.

ROMAC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is a bit of drop to the stock, but not too bad. It was such a nice example I really could have cared less about it. I have plenty of guns to hunt with so it did not have to be a glove fit to come home with me.

Still trying to find out who was doing the engraving early in 1920 which is the year of production based upon its' serial number.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Flues 1 1/2,12 GA circa 1913 is a wonderful well balanced gun, choked IC/IC with the unusual small frame. It has two bar Damascus and has been on many QUAIL hUNTS.
It has very light engraving of dogs etc however, nothing like the one above.

Last edited by Stallones; 07/15/11 09:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very nicelooking No. 2 Flues Model Ithaca.

Ithaca changed to the bolder Art Nouveau style engraving in mid-1915.

By 1919 this style engraving became the No. 1, and remained the No. 1 through the 1934 Ithca catalogues.

From the 1925 Ithaca catalogue --

And, here is the pattern on a Magnum-framed NID --

Bill McGraw was still pretty young when the new style engraving patterns were introduced, but this style engraving has certainly become associated with him. I've always thought that this later Ithaca engraving has bit of a Rudolf Kornbrath look about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill McGraw and Jay Leech were engraving at Ithaca at the time your gun was made. According to Snyder's book it took Leech about 90 minutes to engrave a Flues 1 1/2. Before WWI when Latham was Ithaca's head engraver, Ithaca engraving was much better. Ithacas engraved by Joseph Loy and Edward Latham show some of the best American factory engraving. In my opinion early(Pre-WWI) Ithacas are undervalued. These early guns exhibit some of the best engraving and checkering of any American made gun. It's a shame that post-WWI cost cuts significantly reduced engraving quality not only for Ithaca but also for LC Smith, and Fox. Fortunately, Parkers do not show a decline in post-WWI engraving quality.

ROMAC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shawn, thank you for you reply. This information was exactly what I was looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.