September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (JulesW, MattH, shrapnel, Reidy, 2 invisible), 544 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,868
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, if you don't put the for-end on.
If you try putting the for-end on you are re-cocking the ejectors and the hammers. Not good for the wood.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
For ejector guns, I use the plastic ones as I sometimes store them uncocked. For the others mostly Zoom caps.

JDW,
I am not sure I understand why you said what I have quoted here. Would you mind going a bit further and tell me what the difference is?? Thanks.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'A-Zoom' caps are your best investment. Unless it is absolutely unavoidable, I cannot justify leaving a mainspring under tension, especially hand-crafted 'V' or flat style springs. Cheers!

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

The very best "snap cap" I've found is a 3" section of 1/2" solid brass rod. When I want to let down the hammers I drop the rod down the barrel and holding the barrels upright I pull the trigger. Repeat for the other barrel. Never wears out and safely relieves stress on hammers and strikers.

John McCain is my war hero.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, an LCS must be cocked when the barrels are removed.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think there's a problem with springs being compressed. That doesn't weaken them, it's working them that makes them weaker.

Although there might be another good reason for relaxing the springs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Federal Gold Medal Paper hulls with a rubber pencil eraser in the primer pocket. Paper hulls are waxed so less chance of corrosion, what I use anyroad
Mike

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Except for the Elsies, as noted above, I see no reason for snap caps in relaxing springs. I remove barrels, use piece of wood (old screw driver handle) or the end of a plastic pen pressed against the pin holes, snap the triggers. Reassemble gun, put it away. I wouldn't store the gun with anything in the chamber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy Lefevers.
Lefever had a method of reducing the the spring pressure when opening the gun by holding the triggers back while closing the gun while keeping the opening lever to the right. If he could do that in 1883, why can't it be done now?

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Boxlock
Boxlock

DrBob, You could also let the Remingtons down the same way (1894 and 1900 anyway) with gun broke push safe off hold triggers back as you close action...thats it,the springs are down. When you break the action next time it cocks and functions normally.
On the LCS comment, someone said the LC must be cocked when the barrels are removed. not exactly true....(at least on extractor guns) you can remove the barrels with the action in the fired position, but you will need to manually cock the hammers before you reassemble or you will damage the forend and/or latch spring

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.