September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (JulesW, MattH, shrapnel, Reidy, R Reynolds, 1 invisible), 487 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,868
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw a 16 ga. sxs hammer gun at a gun show today that the seller said was made by the Tula Arsenal. Almost no finish left on the barrel and frame but some nice engraving on the frame. No cracks in the stock. Seemed light weight (maybe. 6 to 6.5 lb) Very tight lock-up with and without the splinter forearm in place. Has an external cross bolt near the top of the frame that moves to the left when the gun is opened with the upper lever arm. (I don't know what that design is called) Bores looked bright with no pitting. Barrels appear to be steel but not sure. 62629 is stamped on the bottom of the barrels under the chambers. The number 601, a 5-point star, and a 1 in line are also stamped on the frame table and under the barrels.

Anyone familiar with that gun? Any idea when and where they were made and how much they might be worth?

Last edited by BarkeyVA; 01/29/12 04:10 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I own a Tula 16. When I received mine it was in poor shape, but I got it to work. It had a date in the mid 1950s stamped on the water table. Right now it is on my list of guns needing o be reworked. Mine was purchased for a "wall hanger" price

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some very nice guns have come out of Tula. Here is one from the days of the USSR:

http://armeriataradell.com/?wpsc-product=yuxtapuesta-de-martillos-tof-urss

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Abn Sarge
I own a Tula 16. When I received mine it was in poor shape, but I got it to work. It had a date in the mid 1950s stamped on the water table. Right now it is on my list of guns needing o be reworked. Mine was purchased for a "wall hanger" price

What format is the date stamp--just the year?, month and year? Is there a model number? The gun I saw just had 601 (star) 1 and the letter B stamped on the water table. Do you have pictures of your gun? If so please email them to bmarten6@cox.net.

The person who showed it to me at the gun show didn't know much about it. I need to ask the dealer who is selling it how he knows for sure that it is a Tula.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a coincidence, I just recently purchased a Tula 16 gauge hammer gun at a gun show too. I too am interested in when it was made (I did learn that mine was imported in 2007). Mine has been highly Bubba-philed as well, apparently by master hammer mechanic Bubbainski himself. The gun fits me very well so I am currently having my favorite gunsmith open the chokes to IM/C (from the factory XF/F).

You asked how well it was made, FWIW Geno once said that quality for these guns was all over the place, from excellent to not so good. Mine seems to have excellent metal and barrel work. However, the checkering is horrible and the inletting around the action can best be described as adequate.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/22/12 10:00 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Post some pics grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a discussion on a 20 ga hammergun from Tula on this thread, back in August.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...8201#Post238201

A lot of help on sussing it out came from Geno, RIP.

The Tula Arsenal has a distinctive T, triangle and circle mark which, I recall, the pictures show. This is a good one; the stamp is all the way at the front of the barrel flat:

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 01/23/12 11:40 AM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe,
What? Post pictures.
I hate to deprive you of the pleasure of telling me and the rest of the board what a POS it is, but I will. Sorry jOe, you should have gone to Kansas, you would have loved riping my go-to pheasant hunting gun. I'm afraid you missed your chance LOL.
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like you already know it's a "POS" so I'll keep my mouth shut laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's so good of you jOe.
FWIW you and I look at guns from two totally different perspectives so your opinion of a gun has little to no bearing on what I think. I honestly decribed the gun above, that should be enough. The gun is a good honest utility grade shotgun that's been ridden hard and put up wet. I'm in the process of making it a useable shooter for my own use. Based on your past comments on this board, the gun would not now or possibly ever pass your high standards.

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/23/12 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.