September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (buckstix, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,838
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie,

I put that together because I've had so many people tell me how they tried shooting a SXS (there granddads or such) and couldn't hit anything with it. Now you know why (other than maybe they were simply just incompetent).

Just remember, when you start to lust after SXS's you're on a slippery slope! Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here...LOL

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 03/01/12 07:02 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the model 21 truly felt perfect....BUY IT!! Or...you could spend more buying others that won't measure up, as we have all done. It will hold its investment value, anyway. (Even if you duplicate the same measurements, another gun might not have the same feel.) Steve

Last edited by steve white; 03/01/12 07:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie, I saw a Model 21 at a gun show back in 1985 for $650.00 bucks and I am kicking myself in the A$$ everyday for not getting it back then. A Model 21 is a great shotgun that will easily last several lifetimes and it is also a great investment. So I would seriously reconsider your decision not to buy that shotgun as it will only get more expensive.

Also, welcome to the Board!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the board!

Ive put together this important canned advice for members new to SXSs to help save them time, money, ammo, and frustration.

Many vintage SXSs have far different stock dimensions than modern guns. Modern guns typically have 1.5 drop at the comb, 2.5 drop at the heal and a 14 Length of pull. Vintage SXSs, particularly vintage American SXSs, will typically have 3-3.5s drop at the heal. This steep drop will cause the average shooter to consistently shoot under his target. Its a good idea to take the shotgun that you currently shoot the best and measure its stock dimensions and then find a SXS with similar dimensions. Typically, with American SXSs (but not all) the more modern the gun, the more likely it will have modern shooting dimensions. If you have access, its a good idea to meet with a professional stock fitter and find out what stock dimensions fit you best. Again, money well spent in saving time, ammo, and frustration.

When you get your SXS, check it for point of impact. To learn where your gun is shooting, put up a large sheet of cardboard (a nice sized piece from an appliance box is good) draw five small black circles on the cardboard, one near each corner and one in the center, and then step back 50 feet. Starting in low gun position, smoothly bring your gun up to your shoulder and quickly shoot at one of the circles, just as youd shoot at a bird or a clay target starting from the low gun position. Repeat four more times shooting a fresh circle each time. Do you note a consistency as to where the shot is hitting the paper in relationship to the circle? That is your guns point of impact. With this knowledge you can either adjust your stock (by having it bent) or adjust your shooting view to compensate.

I hope you find this is information to be useful.

Steve

Good stuff, but I would also offer that there are many, many vintage sxs's out there that have modern dimensions as well. It just takes a bit of looking. Don't want to scare off the new guy from vintage guns before he's had a chance to take the plunge and drain his wallet!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
I guess I should have told him, if you want a better choice of vintage guns that actually fit you like a modern gun does you'd best look to Britain and the Continent. Jamie, go on Amazon and look for a copy of The Standard Directory of Proof Marks by Gerhard Wirnesberger (I think my used 1975 addition cost me $10) and also a new or used copy of Side by Sides of the World by Charles Carder. That way you can check out those guns from across the pond before you buy one.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

5 yrs ago, I passed on a H&H. I'm still kicking myself for not getting that gun for $225,000. It's gone up another $25,000 and the wait is longer. wink

Jamie H Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well, if I had ten grand laying around I'd buy it. Not gonna happen. frown
So, I will keep reading and learning and for now get something to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie,
A BSS 20ga will last you a lifetime and give reliable service while being a very nice handling gun. The 12ga version, not so much a good upland game gun.

Another option is the SKB sxs guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie,
It's very easy to become enamored with a Winchester model 21...happened to me at age 17 and stayed with me for 25 years until I obtained one. Obtain a copy of Ned Schwing's book, "Winchester's Finest The Model 21" and enjoy the reading. A word of caution if you do acquire the disposable income required for a 21.....it's like eating potato chips....ya can't stop with just one.
Welcome to the exhilarating and sometimes expensive world of side by side shotguns
Gary
"You're either on 'em or you ain't" ....the late Bob Brister

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Mark,
I guess I should have told him, if you want a better choice of vintage guns that actually fit you like a modern gun does you'd best look to Britain and the Continent. Jamie, go on Amazon and look for a copy of The Standard Directory of Proof Marks by Gerhard Wirnesberger (I think my used 1975 addition cost me $10) and also a new or used copy of Side by Sides of the World by Charles Carder. That way you can check out those guns from across the pond before you buy one.
Steve

Actually Steve I was referring to American vintage guns, but I'll defer to you regarding Continental guns. Lots of Lefevers, Ithacas, Smiths, Parkers and others have modern dimensions. Of course, lots of them don't too, but as I said, you just have to look and be selective. As an example, I'm selling a 1 5/8-2 5/8 1905 Lefever right now on gunbroker that fits like a dream.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.