Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, interesting about the walrus hide. About 30 years ago,I found a book on manufacturing Winchesters at the Winchester plant. It showed a picture of the polishers and the wheels looked to be about 2" thick and maybe more than 30" in diameter. It described them as being made out of rhino hide. Totally agree on the nickle content of the receivers. It was the carbonia or gas bluing that caused the flaking.

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 04/20/12 01:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m fairly certain that it’s Walrus, I’ve got some old (pre-1930s) documentation from Winchester, they were having some issues getting “Sea Horse” hide, and tried cow hide but found it unsuitable.

Sea horse was the period name for Walrus.

This was confirmed by a good friend of mine that used to work at Winchester; also, as late as the early 80s they still had a couple of remaining walrus hides to make wheels.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I can't cite a source, unfortunately, but remember hearing at a state park in Florida that manatees were hunted commercially to the point of local extermination for sale to industrial leather belt manufacturers. Apparently the belts were very durable and stretch-resistant. "Sea Horse"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Manatees are colloquially called "sea cows" Not sea horses. smile

I'm sure lots of different leathers would work if need be. Some might be easier than others though. More than likely, if run by overhead belts, the Winchester factory operated on bison. The buffalo hide industry was built around powering factories with overhead belts made of specially tanned bison hides. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Manatees were indeed used for this purpose. I found a reference on page 3, section 3.5, of this proposal for inclusion of endangered species.

Google Document

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

When doing the research I concluded it was Walrus, in one of the documents, it actually showed a Walrus, and where the best pieces of polishing wheel hide came from. Winchester tried leather, found it unacceptable.

Believe me…The thought of gluing a bunch of itty bitty aquarium grade sea horse hides together did not appeal to me.

Buffalo/Bison was a huge commodity in this country around the turn of the century. I firmly believe that the bone charr used in period CCH was buffalo bone. Ebonex is the only company still producing bone charcoal; they got their start in the late 1800s supplying buffalo bone charcoal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Hunter

Believe me…The thought of gluing a bunch of itty bitty aquarium grade sea horse hides together did not appeal to me.

Surely you said that in jest?

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Were the hides from whales ever used?

And then I would like to steer the thread back to Winchester lever gun actions. I have a Model 65 in 218 Bee. The serial numbers in Madis' Winchester book indicate that the action was close to the last one made in 1935. The action might have sat around until assembled as a Bee circa 1938 or 39. The action is blued, but the blue is very thin and looks to be worn through at places where the rifle has been handled. The blue is not flaking off, however. I have been told that this is common in late 1930s Winchesters. Can someone please explain this process?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don

yes I jest

Waterman.

Late 1930s Winchester contracted with the Dulite Corp and started using their process; which we know today as hot salts.

V/R

Mike

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.