June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hoot4570, Ken57, SamW, Little Creek, 1 invisible), 268 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,465
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a nice Belgian ejector Guild gun and would like to lengthen the stock. I thought about adding a pad, but I would really prefer a checkered butt. Right now is a has a milled butt and I think it looks better than rubber. Plus the gun will be used for grouse and woodcock, so I am not looking at high volumes of fire.

Has anyone here succesfully made wood extensions look like the grain of the original stock? I always save the trimmings off my stock blanks and from other stocks that I cut down for people. But of course none will match up perfectly. Is there any chance with imitation mineral streaking to get an extension to be un-noticable to the casual observer? If so, what are the different methods I can try to match it up

Thanks!

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to remember this was a topic on here some time ago and a photo was published of a stock that had been treated by an anonymous stocker from the North of England UK it was fabulous.
I think Chuck was the poster? Perhaps Ken Hurst has some pearls of wisdom?

I think this is the photo you are talking about. I was so impresed I had one of my guns in for the same treatment. If you need the guys contact details PM me.

1 member likes this: Cossington

another photo

and the one that was done for me.... Sorry about the cr@p photo quality

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WOW! That is an awesome job. Has anyone on this site done it themselves? I am thinking about trying it and wanted some hints and suggestions.

I feel quite certain that my first job will not turn out near as well as the sidelock above!

skunk out

My understanding is that the faux grain is dye that is applied using a paintbrush. He got the tone and grain flow spot on. Unfortunately he couldn’t replicate the fiddle back I have on my stock… ho hum.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H tried making an extension somewhat less visible, but if I remember correctly he didnt like the way it turned out. He is now trying the butt transplant method. Speaking of which, if youre reading this thread Chuck, when will you get that done!? I really am interested in how it turns out. Derek, whoever did that extension did a great job! I have seen a number of english made guns with extensions that someone blended extremely well. I dont know if they used paint, stain, or even a torch to fake the grain, but they looked good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend who uses an air brush and paints the grain - but it doesn't look that good . Not saying it couldn't though . There was a good thread awhile back about this very subjuct . Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi guys. Yes, I tried matching the extension but wasn't happy with it. So, I went with the method described in Shotgun Technicana by David Travallion. And no, I haven't gotten back to it after I glued it. It's still a big block on the back. I'm really buzy with the new pooch for now. But here's a pic of the stock just before I glued it.

And after glueing.

My other half hearted extension that I wasn't quite pleased with...besides, I really wanted to try DT's method.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a graining comb and Indian ink, I have heard of people using a black felt tip pen.
And if it is light wood such as beech, maple or birch you could use 'Suigi'.
Apparently you have a good guy with a torch in the US he just needs to move back 4inches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.