May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, old colonel, Ted Schefelbein, Lloyd3, Birdog, steve f), 274 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,370
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#295729 10/03/12 11:17 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have debated this subject numerous times with some of the people I hunt with. I am lucky enough to own a few older very nice shotguns (mostly Parkers) that are in very good condition. I have found myself hesitant to use them if the weather is bad, particularly constant rain. I have found myself using a "rain gun" when the weather is bad. Some of my friends say that no matter what, you should use your shotguns regardless of how nice they are. I saw an article years ago which stated in so many words: if you were to receive an old high grade FOX cased and never fired, would you fire that gun? I would like to know other opinions

Boxlock
Boxlock

I personally do not buy guns as a investment item looking for a higher resale price. Guns are a tool (means to an end). Some are more ornate than others but all were made to shoot. You honor the builder and the gun to be using it for what it was intended. Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am in Verns camp when it comes to my view on guns. I don't own collector grade guns for that reason. I buy them to use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am both a collector and a shooter and treat my guns with the respect due their age. If it is in high original condition I tend to use it in conditions that will not harm it. After all, most of these old side by sides are rare survivors of an earlier time and are not as indestructible as modern black guns. Remember, we are only temporary guardians of these relics before they are passed along to someone else to care for. When the weather really turns ugly and wet I will drag out one of my old pump guns.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently bought an A. H. Fox XE, all original, that came out of somebody's closet with 50 years of accumulated dust,grime, tobacco smoke, and even ceiling paint specs on it. On top of all that it had it's original collapsed and dry rotted Silvers pad on it with a length of pull for a midget. After a gentle cleaning,I sent it off to Susquehanna Stockworks to have the wood restored, checkering recut and the stock lengthened for my 6'3" frame. I know that that probably really got under the skin of some of my fellow Fox collectors because it was in totally original condition/configuration. But for me, all it was good for was to look at. I want to hunt with it and after it is finished I will. I'll never sell it so who gives a crap. Craig took the recoil pad off when I gave it to him and I saved it so in the end all somone would have to do is take the extension off and put the pad back on. I can't wait to go grouse hunting with it later on in the year and if it rains who cares.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not like to carry a nice high condition double in the rain.I use ones that show a lot of use and try to keep wood as dry as possible.Bobby

Joe Wood #295759 10/03/12 02:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone from Amarillo has rain hunting experience ???

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I'm totally honest, I'd say it's a damn good question.
If I could afford a 'top' gun to play with, I'd have my butler dry and clean it when I got home after a good day shooting in poor weather.
Unfortunately I'm not too well off and although I enjoy stripping, cleaning and checking guns there are times after coming home cold and wet with nothing in the bag that I'd just like a hot shower and maybe a cool beer or two so gun maintainance is one of the last things on my mind. Saying that, I'd still be gutted if my old Belgian went rusty because I'd forgot/couldn't be bothered to dry and oil it properly.

I think that guns were made to be used though. If you look after them, they'll look after you. It'd be nice to have a best and a knock about gun but that's only 2 guns. Not nearly enough in my mind.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sir, gentlemen do not go sporting in such weather c. 1817 smile

Frank Dadd "East, West, Home's the Best" 1922 Courtesy of cc/dt

Last edited by Drew Hause; 10/03/12 02:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That old high grade Fox, cased & never fired,, I wouldn't fire it. I don't really collect either. So why drasticaly devalue the gun by shooting it,,just to say you did so.
Works for some I guess,,really makes no difference to me.

I'd let it be,,safe in it's still unfired condition,,and let someone else who desires to fire it pay top dollar for it, just so they can be the first to shoot it..
...And that's fine,,it's their gun at that point.
The boys at Pawn Stars would need to fire it for sure.

Others I just use carefully.
I don't treat them as survival guns needing to perform in every imaginable climate or condition.
They're old(er) like most of us and need or at least deserve a bit of extra care I think.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.