September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JulesW, ArtLavely, Argo44, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#299378 11/06/12 01:10 AM
pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What did the original case colors on the Fox shotguns look like. Are there some pictures I could look at?

Also I'm finding that American shotguns lose value when they have been restored. Obviously a pristine original is of more value then a restored gun, but an unrestored tramp worth more then a restored one? I don't think so.

pooch #299388 11/06/12 08:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out the pictures of different grades on the Fox collectors site.
Bob Jurewicz

pooch #299390 11/06/12 08:33 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
What did the original case colors on the Fox shotguns look like. Are there some pictures I could look at?

Also I'm finding that American shotguns lose value when they have been restored. Obviously a pristine original is of more value then a restored gun, but an unrestored tramp worth more then a restored one? I don't think so.

The first few years of manufacture, Fox case colored their receivers using the bone and charcoal method.....but after about 1912 up into the Savage ownership all their guns were Cyanide Case Colored by:

Fred Heinzelman & Sons
790 Washington Avenue, Carlstadt, N.J. 07072....201-933-4800
Still in business today and still doing cyanide case colors on guns....

The value drops on most restored guns because people use the wrong materials and restoration theme no matter how good the actual work is......such as bone charcoal CCH on a Fox or Sterlingworth when it should be Cyanide.........they OVER restock the wood grades (way too much figure) and the wood patterns, i.e. fluted combs when there was NO flute on the Sterlingworth combs etc....details, details, details......

It goes without saying that guns where clowns with the big buffing wheels ruin everything, are complete junk......

If any gun is restored properly, you should NOT be able to tell it has been restored.....leave off the gaudy stuff and the recoil pads (use a leather slip on if you must), leave off the ghetto wood etc., use original grade wood for replacement....... CCH only parts that were originally CCH'd, not the entire gun, forend etc.,unless original........

Do a little research--homework first as to what was what and how the gun looked when it left the factory based on the grade you're working on, you'd be surprised how much value YOU ADD if you keep the factory theme and how people will fight over it at a gun show when you sell it......

Unfortunately most people just don't care anymore and will argue they want it "their" way and that's that...........which is fine, to each his own........

Here's my 1929 Fox Sterlingworth with 100% Factory Original Cyanide Case Colors & barrel blue to view per your request.....

Doug

pooch #299391 11/06/12 08:33 AM
11F Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the early years of Fox the guns were bone case hardened (like Parkers, Smiths, etc.). Circa WWI, they moved to a cyanide based process which continued during the Savage years.

pooch #299406 11/06/12 11:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch

Also I'm finding that American shotguns lose value when they have been restored.

Really? You've studied some bonafied restorations; noted the cost of the project gun, the cost of time and materials to restore/refurbish/upgrade/customize it, and found the gun was then worth LESS than it was before?

That's not been my experience. I've refurbished/upgraded more than a few American shotguns and I'm absolutely certain I can sell every one tomorrow for more than I have invested in it. Notice I didn't say "restored." While I can appreciate someone's effort in restoring a tan, 4 door sedan with vinyl seats, I have no interest in owning one, much less investing my time and money to pull it off. The value I place on my guns is satisfaction of a project completed and pride of ownership.

Perhaps you've heard a few people bloviate on the subject and you're confusing their "value" with market value. And when it comes to market value, I'm heartily amused at the agony some people suffer over the loss of a few hundred dollars on a $10,000 shotgun "investment." I wonder what percentage of these people have spent $30,000 on a truck and then had it appreciate? whistle

PA24 #299413 11/06/12 11:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
If any gun is restored properly, you should NOT be able to tell it has been restored.....

I totally agree, and especially if the gun has been used after the restoration and shows some normal handling wear. Many "experts" have been fooled by guns like this.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
pooch #299415 11/06/12 11:44 AM
pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No I haven't studied Fox restorations. The questions I have posed are the beginning of that study.

Did AH Fox guns come with beaver tail forends or English stocks as a standard option? Were these things special order? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell

While I can appreciate someone's effort in restoring a tan, 4 door sedan with vinyl seats, I have no interest in owning one, much less investing my time and money to pull it off.

Mike:

Here's a nice RESTORED 4-door sedan, vinyl seat 1966 Dodge 426-Hemi with all matching numbers that sold for a little over $250,000.00......so I guess 4-doors and vinyl seats have their place.....? .......Some like "glitz" and some like "horsepower"....... Or would you just say there "are exceptions"...?...

To each his own I suppose....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: PA24
If any gun is restored properly, you should NOT be able to tell it has been restored.....

I totally agree, and especially if the gun has been used after the restoration and shows some normal handling wear. Many "experts" have been fooled by guns like this.

SRH

Yes Stan my opinion as well, that is pretty much what the British and Europeans have always done.....they freshen up their guns every so often without adding "glitz or sequins"......then continue using them as they have always done.......makes sense to me........

BTW---PM reply to your PM question posted Stan.......

Best,

Doug

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.