May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (azgreg, bigblock, CptCurl, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 462 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,551
Posts546,229
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ran across a 20ga AYA, regulated by FT Baker of London (I have read much about Baker but never seen an aya by the firm). I have long enjoyed German guns, my knowledge of Spanish guns is limited to occasional reading.

Light lively gun,wood has a rich reddish stain and nicely figured, not abundant in engraving but of nice quality, both sides have 3 birds over a landscape. Fit and finish is actually well executed, front trigger is articulated, 1994 vintage. The price seems reasonable, advertised as an AYA #1, but It is difficult to tell the difference between a #1 and #2 for me.

I would enjoy any input. tx.

Last edited by Colorado; 01/27/13 07:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A 1994 AyA would have a serial number between 602,423 and 602,642 and a date code of N*2 on the barrel flats.

I have a 20 ga #2 about 10 years younger and it is superb! I had the stock fitted to me and the gun is truly a joy to shoot. It is a very good clone of an English best. The wrist is thin and delicate. I use this gun on New England grouse, woodcock and Georgia quail with great joy. Nice triggers and they have intercepting sears.

The new price on these guns has gone up in recent years and used ones are in demand.

Just my personal opinion, but it's hard to go wrong with a 20 ga AyA sidelock.

Note added in Edit:
For what it's worth, I've read that the AyA #2 is the largest selling SxS in Britain. Many are imported "in the white" and finished in England.

Last edited by Gnomon; 01/26/13 10:04 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the information, I will look closely tomorrow at the serial. I noticed it was proofed at 1000, but should have taken a photo.

My first impression when the owner took the sock off was, wow that looks small. It balanced well, and came up easy, the stock seemed pretty close to my fitting.

It is interesting you mentioned the #2 being bought in the Fredk Baker (the company) in the white and finished in London,the owner mentioned this regarding AYA in general but could not elaborate more, he thinks it is a #1. No previous receipts. FT Baker I believe stopped existing in the year 2000 according to my searches, the name is still owned by Westley Richards.

Other than contacting AYA, would there be another source for information?

Last edited by Colorado; 01/27/13 08:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

About the only strange bit I notice on that one is that the hand detach lever is in an unusual position. Probably not a big deal.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like it's not tightened down. Happens with some of my detachable levers at times when in use. I'd just make sure that it tightens up and is not stripped.

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Greg and gents,

The Lever was vertical and not horizontal, same with the screw alignment on the bottom it was off, the top lever in the center, but good lock up. The owner said, he has owned it for several years, shot it sparingly and has not done anything other than clean the barrels and lube it. He has not had to have any maintenance(internal), nor has he removed the locks.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Colorado
Hello Greg and gents,

The Lever was vertical and not horizontal, same with the screw alignment on the bottom it was off, the top lever in the center, but good lock up. The owner said, he has owned it for several years, shot it sparingly and has not done anything other than clean the barrels and lube it. He has not had to have any maintenance(internal), nor has he removed the locks.

Good to go!!!

Best of luck to you!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

The easiest thing to do is email the serial number to AyA - they will give you a definitive answer. In my experience they are very helpful.

Yes, the AyA looks small- it is beautifully proportioned, has the feel of an english Best and shoots as well as it looks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colorado
I inquired about this gun as well. He sent me some HD pictures. The animal engraving was rather crude by English/Aya No. 1 standards and I suspect that it was only regulated in England. Owner couldn't be sure whether engraving was hand chased or hand done. All proof marks are Spanish no English proofs. I was intrigued because I own an F T Baker London made side lock finished in 1930's that I love. I did not realized they continued to manufacture guns until recently. I would say that this gun is priced correctly. As much as I can judge without actually having the gun in my hands, I do not believe that it is finished/engraved to an Aya No. 1 standards.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

#557074 spanish proofs only, dates with the A2 stamp to 1981(owner not sure)
Here is the engraving. still tight to close, strong ejectors, nice triggers.
Hard to say from the wood if a #1 or #2, engraving is attractive.

Last edited by Colorado; 01/27/13 07:22 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.