September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (JulesW, MattH, shrapnel, Reidy, R Reynolds, 1 invisible), 487 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,868
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've become intrigued with Husqvarna model 20 under lever guns. I've never shot or handled one, but I'd like to find a reliable 16 ga. "shooter." I'm not too conncerned about how it looks, but I don't want to spend a lot of money in case I can't get used to the under lever action. I recently passed on a newer Model 20 in good condition priced at at $420.

There is a Husqvarna Model 20 made in 1910 with blued steel barrels and 2-1/2" chambers and described as being in good mechanical condition with tight lock-up. However, it has what is described as "light" pitting throughout the right bore (although I'm not sure I would know the difference between light and moderate pitting).

Another Model 20 made in 1907 with steel barrels is available for a slightly lower price. It is described as mechanically fine with tight lock-up and excellent bore. Barrels have turned a light patina and the frame a grey color. Stock has a crack on the left side between the lock plate and upper tang.

Both are 16 ga. and the asking prices are $150 and $145 respectively.

So, "lightly" pitted bore vs. cracked stock--anyone willing to express an opinion as to which might be the better deal/lower risk?

I'd shoot either gun using 2-1/2" low pressure shells. Is it practical to consider polishing out the pits, assuming there is sufficient barrel thickness? How dificult would it be to repair the cracked stock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi BarkeyVA

I would like to answer your question by saying OOOps I have just dropped my crystal ball! But let’s look at it another way:-
What is more expensive to replace over there on the other side of the pond a sock or a set of barrels?
The gun with the pitting I would definitely want to know what the barrel wall thickness is for each tube. And if it was within reason you have the pitting removed but that would be at a cost plus the guns purchase price.
The gun with the crack in the stock what I see in worst case is a crack right across the head of the stock and in a high proportion of cases this can be a repairable problem if the stock head is not to oil soaked, but there is still the point of the stock may have to be replaced.
But like life it will all be a gamble!
My personal opinion would be go for the stock because there is a high chance it could be repaired at a lower cost than a barrel or barrel pitting removal.
Over here in Britland there is a Latin saying “CAVEAT EMPTOR” meaning let the buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

BarkeyVA
So are you departing from those Tula's? (LOL) Get the one with the cracked stock. Even if it's oil soaked you can still probably get the oil out with an acetone soak. Then after a few weeks wait you can glue it, then pin it from the inside and possibly make it stronger than it was. It sounds as if, where it's cracked, checkering can be used to cover up repairs.
Just my free advice as usual worth every penny paid.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Concerning the gun with the stock issue, how do you know that the stock is not cracked internally worse than it shows externally? Also did you ask about pitting in the bores on it? Their description of excellent condition does not mean that minor pitting does not exist.
If the other gun does only have minor pitting, that's the one I would pick and shoot as is. Many guns are shot with minor pitting in North America. Only you can decide if the gun has minor pitting or have someone else look at it. At $145.00 gun, I wouldn't be spending much time trying to repair a stock.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 03/11/13 12:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you like them, and they both lock up tight,,buy both of them for those prices.
Live with the minor pitting,,repair the stock so it doesn't become a disaster in you hands and have fun with them.

Maybe the one with the excellent bbls can be fitted with the good stock from the other example with the lightly pitted bores.
Might take a bit of work but who isn't up for a project.

Put the other shotgun back together with it's lightly pitted bores and now cracked stock and sell it for $100.
You have a good one for $200 and some work.

I know they were all hand fitted,,,
They were entry level shotguns, but nicely made ones at that.
Nothing there a bit of skill and epoxy can't remedy.
They could probably use a touch of glass bedding at this point anyway in their life.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
BarkeyVA
So are you departing from those Tula's? (LOL)
Steve

Steve,
No, I still have my 16 ga. Tula hammer gun. I sent the barrels to Mike Orlen to have the Full choked left barrel opened up to Mod. Just think I'd like to add a Husky hammer gun to my "collection" of shooters.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd shy away from one with a cracked stock, some pitting if it's light won't be much of an issue as other have said.

If it were me, I'd look for one with no problems, less to worry about and she's ready to shoot

Here's one for instance:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332021941

Good Luck!!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

BarkyVA,
Simpson Ltd. in Il. has a pile of those plus similar mod.14,15,16,etc.
Mike

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
BarkyVA,
Simpson Ltd. in Il. has a pile of those plus similar mod.14,15,16,etc.
Mike

Mike's right, but most of them have been rode hard and put away wet. You can always look for a better condition one, they do have a bunch!

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=350_354_367&osCsid=c38ea4775cb89ff7af7937a27e842d1f

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
If it were me, I'd look for one with no problems, less to worry about and she's ready to shoot.
Greg

Greg,
Thanks for the link. The one you pointed out on Gunbroker looks nice and I now have it on my watch list. However, as I said in my initial post, I passed on one in similar condition for $420 plus shipping and transfer. I suspect this one will probably sell for that much or more. At this point, I am not willing to spend that much on a gun I may or may not like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.