September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 418 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Maxm
FAMARS went bankrupt on October 2012, what a pity.

Interesting - it seemed like it was last year that they went on a big branding push with clothing and accessories. I wonder if the investment that required contributed to their financial problems.

This is too cynical a thought to have at this hour of the morning, but FAMAR's fate hardly seems unusual when compared to most of the other high-end makers. Going back 120 years, which one hasn't experienced financial hardship or worse?

Bosis
Piotti
FAMARS
Perazzi
Beretta SOs
F'lli Rizzini
Fabbri

That seems like a lot of makers (just in Italy) looking to sell $30k+ OUs - how deep is that market, really?

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Originally Posted By: Maxm
FAMARS went bankrupt on October 2012, what a pity.

Interesting - it seemed like it was last year that they went on a big branding push with clothing and accessories. I wonder if the investment that required contributed to their financial problems.

I have worked with and extended credit to retailers for over 30 years. Small independents to large national chains. The times I am most worried about credit is when some retailer is showing me their grand plans for expansion.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, and Holland & Holland are owned by the Chanel group.

That, of course, explains their short-lived line of clothing that was introduced some years ago to much snickering. Their new line of clothing is rather nice.

The market for discretionary toys in this price range is deeper than one might think, but the competition is fierce.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree Gnomon and to deal in the affluent market name recognition is in my opinion paramount. But a name earned is a lot more expensive then a name given or assigned by that affluent society. Perazzi is earning their name, the English makers have already earned their names, did FAMARS?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw the writing on the wall several months ago.

It is a shame. I very much enjoyed meeting Christina a few years ago and getting a tour of the factory while I was in Gardonne.

I can't say I'm surprised, though pretty, their guns had a tendency to be unreliable and their quality control was erratic. After-sales service was very poor too often. Finally it has all imploded. Very sad but these are tough times and all but the best run businesses run the risk of failing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Yep, and Holland & Holland are owned by the Chanel group.

Not to nitpick but Holland & Holland is owned by the family that owns Chanel... They are not owned by the Chanel Group. It may be a small distinction but it is a very important distinction when it comes to the decision making process of the company.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since we already have a bit of thread drift present, I'd posit that Tony G. & CSM has perhaps one of the the better business plans for a small shop today. They do some spectacular high end work as well when desired and charge accordingly, plus they back all of their work up to the hilt. For those with a 'buy American' bent, we should be very proud that it is working well for them. I am.

Kolar is another small shop player that has become a presense in the American target gun market, though mostly skeet from my perspective. There is at least one flyer shooter of note using one.

Back to the Italian gun scene, Caesar Guerini is making a good name for themselves on many fronts here w/serviceable & reliable target guns. I personally do not think of them as high end, but I know several people who are doing their best to wear some of them out & they continue to perform and they have a 'balance' in some models that makes them lively for the intended use. Guerini are also spending 'tons' on advertising & doing the usual things to get some 'name' folks to shoot them. Time will tell if they become lasting players in the target gun market.

I find Dig's remarks on A&S both polite & spot on. It is a shame, quite. In the same breath, A&S made 'exquisite' for an ill definded carriage trade and the few top end guns I know of that got heavy use were not up to it.

On the P-guns, Chuck said it. Short & sweet.

P&V, OTOH, do near zero advertisment, but the discerning know what they are capable of and go to them willingly. Small shop, good guys, funny and fair. No pretense. They have a dif bidness model & they are proud. I think they will continue to be around. Wot's not to like about that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They did not go out of business because of any of the above mentioned causes. The reason is more profound than that.

They made exquisite guns and could do some things no other gun maker could or would do, such as a full sidelock gun where the entire trigger group and locks fell out with a simple backward push of the safety. They will be missed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Halifax, why did they go out of business ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Yeah, I've owned a Perazzi, liked it, but why would you want them to wipe out the competition?
Maybe because they make top shelf competition shotguns? Just a SWAG here, but Perazzi, Piotti, Purdey-- Hallmarks as well known as: Rolex, Steinway, Ferrari-etc.. The very word competition means, as old Billy S. once so wisely wrote-- "Now cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war"- You compete to win and to bury the opponents so far into the dust they can't rise up for the next event, right??

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

It's just business. Perazzi is dominant in several target markets because they build the best tool. They will also build what amount to bespoke guns but they don't have to since their market is a sort of tailored but not one off kinda gun. Krieghoff bought the skeet gun market. Beretta is making a run on the trap stuff by buying some top shooters. Churchill pointed out that all of his competition were fools for building those stupid long barrels.

It's only business. You either meet/exploit the target segment's market demands, make their demands match your product, or fail. No mysteries there.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 12/29/13 02:32 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.