September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (buckstix, 1 invisible), 245 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,838
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jamie H Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I got a lead on this Parker Trojan 12, 30" barrels. Not sure of choke. Going to check out tomorrow. Bad news is there is a HUGE chunk of wood missing, see pic below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think I can get it for rather cheap, less than 400. Should I go for it? And is there anything else in particular I should look for when inspecting it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would walk away from it, put your $400 aside, add to it when you can, save until you can get a nice Brit boxlock double.

I know the name PARKER carries some kind of aura for many double guys, and some will jump in here, but it certainly can't make this bottom model worthwhile. The missing chunk of wood, the barrels look rusty onthe outside, probably worse on the inside. As presented, it's junk and I can't even see the whole gun.

Don't make the mistake of buying the name, save your money andput it towards a worthwhile double you won't have to put MORE money into to make it serviceable.

Please do yourself a favor and forget this hunk of nothing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen

Sidelock
Sidelock

They guys are dead on,I'm a Parker guy and all I see there is a maybe a big project if bores are good ) or parts...to my eye the stock and forend are not original to the gun,if it was a 20 or 16 gauge a rebuild would be warranted.
Save your money and find a better one,they can pop up when you least expect it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Newf; 07/08/13 07:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jamie

The members are very right and the reason for me saying something is the piece of wood missing from the stock looks suspiciously like a clean break in a rather unlikely place, it looks like the action may have been removed at the time of the break. Here in Brit land we have a saying ‘I would not touch that with a Barge Pole’ sort of meaning I would stay a long way from that.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take two aspirin and walk away.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you could get it for next to nothing it might be worth picking up to mess with; worse guns than that have been saved but you'd have to be capable of doing the work yourself or you'd have too much money in it. But $400 is way too much in that condition; you can get a decent, complete and working vintage double for not much more than that. JMO

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie,

+1 on what has been already posted. I'll go a little further... For $400.00 you should be able to find a Nitro Special or a Western Long Range by Ithaca in 12Ga with no issues and is ready to go. Look around a bit more with patience, you could find one in a 16 or 20 in that range too, although condition may vary on the small bores.

Double your investment, and you could find nice 12Ga Sterly, Elsie or an Ithaca that are not as "clunky" as the aforementioned. Now if you save up 800, and you want a 16 or a 20, save up anther 200 to 400 and scour the internet, gun dealer sites, gun shops, pawn shops and auction sites and you could find one of the aforementioned in a 16 or 20 field models as well. Again condition may vary on the small bores. Although they are not Parkers, these are just as nice without the name.

Good luck whatever you do.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
\ I'll go a little further... For $400.00 you should be able to find a Nitro Special or a Western Long Range by Ithaca in 12Ga with no issues and is ready to go.

This is mine and if you're interested I'll take care of Dave. Only issue is stock length, at 13-1/2 you either can shoot it or not depending on fit, put a leather pad on or use it late season with a heavy coat.

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 07/08/13 01:05 PM.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope someone saves the old warrior.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.