September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (j7l2, 6 invisible), 435 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,880
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike's post above.

I wish we had the opportunity to walk past giant stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro and get all sniffy about it. Think yourselves fortunate to have such things. Even the small town stores are way more comprehensive than ours; I've found these guys very good ... did me a nice deal on Danner boots. Stroudsburg, PA.

The nearest I have is a Wynnstay Country Store Gunroom, about as big as my kitchen and considerably less well appointed; a gun store without a coffee perc on the go deserves eternal damnation smile

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 08/23/13 04:33 AM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

We had Sportsman's Warehouse here which I like a lot but they closed. We have Gander, Sports Authority, and Dick's all of which are basically clothing stores now. Recently I was able to buy fly line backing at 8:30PM on a Sunday; I'm glad Cabela's is here.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eugene:

Dunkelberger's is a great store. The collection of Winchester rifles on the walls above the gun rack is just phenomenal. Well worth the visit, even if you don't otherwise empty your wallet into their cash register.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "big boxes" are OK as long as you shop carefully and already know what you need and what it really costs.

What I DON'T like about them is the "free" advice I sometimes hear their employees give out to newbies. Especially reloading advice....

What they should really be saying is "Just buy the manual. And, oh yeah, DO read it!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes the best gun deals are on the bargin racks not in the gun room. I bought a Baker with the Montgomery Wards name on it for a song. At the W.V cab there was a first year production model 12 in very respectable shape for 200.00. As a shooter it was perfect and I suspect a few sellers would have refreshened it and sold it for big bucks to some uneducated collector.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm actually grateful for all of the big box choices we have here, and for most of the reasons mentioned above. I know the gun folks at a number of the big stores and many are really good, knowledgeable guys. My problem (w/Big Boxes) lies elsewhere. I'm not a big crowd fan, & never have been. Small-town boys don't always out-grow their small-town roots I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought quite a few fine guns at extremely good prices at various Cabela's. You have to look often and know what you are looking at.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bailey
You chaps moaning about Cabela or Bass Pro make me smile. They are fantastic, we have nothing like that in Europe. I try to visit one each time when I visit the States but never take my wallet as I would be bankrupt in an hour. Only once did I, it was in North Carolina and I did $2000 in a few minutes on fly rods !! Some of you guys donīt know you have it so good. (My other favourite is the high street in Bozeman, Montana....paradise smile

You don't understand Mike. Part of getting into double guns in this country is acquiring $500 French rubber boots and a disdain for Cabelas. Those people go there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My last trip to Cabelas.....
1 Cabelas breathable quickdry shirt
1 Columbia breathable quickdry shirt
1 North Face pair of quickdry shorts
2 2 pound bags of smoked meat sticks
1 Carhartt wallet
3 spools of Umpqua tippet
1 Cabelas duffel bag
1 can holder
1 pair Danner hiking boots
1 pair Danner hunting boots
1 pair of Born shoes
1 flat of Rio 20 ga shells
Total with tax, $795.54
minus $50 gift card
minus $75 coupon/voucher
minus $463.48 points earned on the Club card......
Out the door for $207.06
Cabelas is 'okay' in my book.
And they take nearly everything back.
Yep, some of the stuff was imported.
Plenty was not.
Probably something I shouldn't share...
Cabelas had several large stores planned during the depression. Even had the structural steel built,
paid for it,
then paid to have it scrapped out, by the same company.
Who else does that?
Then they started the idea of smaller stores in more areas.
I hope that they continue on.
They do provide for American sportsman, workers, and obviously others, in many ways.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 28 Bore
If you like everything being made in China, Cabelas is the place to go. Not for me. I'll find made in the USA in the smaller independent store or will do without.

Check and see where your coffeemaker, television, hair dryer, etc. along with many other items in your home are made. Just saying...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 08/24/13 10:43 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.