June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 312 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,623
Posts547,092
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#361511 03/21/14 09:24 AM
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Holts has had an Alex Henry hammerless .360 BPE double rifle for sale at three auctions. The first 2 auctions it was estimated at 4000 to 6000 pounds. It did not sell. This auction (March 20) the same rifle was estimated at 6000 to 8000 pounds. It sold yesterday at that auction for 11,000 pounds and with the 22.5% commission the auction price was over $20,000 USD.
That is a high price for that rifle in excellent shape. However,
this rifle had a bulge in the left damascus barrel about 4 inches in from the muzzle and the rifling has been broken through. Am I missing something here? That price seems extremely high for a rifle that has a bulged barrel!

Last edited by LD1; 03/21/14 11:32 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you sure it was not the little .360 sidelock? They had a .360 bpe Henry with barrel problems too. Bulged left tube I believe. I have an identical rifle to the .360, better condition, no bulge. Auctions are interesting and strange the way they play out at times.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve,

It is a hammerless back action lock that sold at Holts yesterday. It was Lot 908. It was built for the Maharajah of Dholpur. Can a bulge like that be repaired on a Damascus barrel? Holts said that it was not very visible from the outside of the barrel exterior, but that the rifling has "broken through" on the inside. The original barrel length is 26".

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

maybe the provenance of the gun had something to do with the high price.

LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I still wouldn't bid that much because of the bulged barrel.
I don't know how you could fix the bulge. The barrels are 26" now and if you cut the bulged area off you would have a rifle with 22" barrels. That would not be the right thing to do on a .360 BPE. I suppose that you could have someone sleeve it to a smaller caliber, but that would be an additional expense. I wouldn't pay more than $6000 for it, but that is just me.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the years I have seen a number of anomalies at Holts and other auction houses as well. I wouldn't spend too much time pondering it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pod
maybe the provenance of the gun had something to do with the high price.

But LD1 said the gun did not sell the first two times it was auctioned. And in this auction it sold for well over the high estimate of the previous two auctions.

I thought the prices in the recent Julia's auction were extraordinarily high. My shooting student Joe Wood pointed out a Lefever FE 12 in good condition that went for about $10K: http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=lefever&po...;meta_value=358

Many many old doubles went for much more than I thought they would in Julia's auction.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/21/14 10:34 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oddly, I don't see any mention of a bulge in the left barrel of Lot 908 in the Holt auction. I would think this was priority information. Amarillo, is it possible they just came up with the provenance in the last auction ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure. I didn't think of that.

I am glad to be here.
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is the Holts listing for Lot 908: Notice the section talking about traces of a ring bulge. I have an E-mail from Holts concerning the bulge. I would never bid on anything without asking a few questions.

FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF H.H. THE MAHARAJ OF DHOLPUR
ALEX.r HENRY
A FINE .360 BLACK POWDER EXPRESS HENRY PATENT BACK-ACTION SIDELOCK NON-EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 6546,
26in. fine black powder only damascus barrels with raised matt rib, central section engraved 'ALEX.R HENRY. EDINBURGH AND LONDON. MAKER TO THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES THE PRINCE OF WALES AND DUKE OF EDINBURGH', open sights with ivorine insert and folding leaf sight with silver inlay, bead foresight with flip-up moonsight, Henry patent rifling, traces of ring bulge in left tube, Henry patent action, carved fluted serpentine fences with feathered and cross-hatch engraving and marked 'HENRYS PATENT', 'No. 222', automatic safety with blue enamelled 'SAFE' detail, curved back-action locks with cocking-indicators and gold-inlaid 'COCKED' detail, fine acanthus scroll engraving with cross hatch and feathered borders, retaining some original colour-hardening and finish, 13 7/8in. highly-figured tiger stripe pistolgrip stock with two piece pistolgrip, engraved steel pistolgrip-cap (with trap), cheekpiece, sling swivels, replacement silver shield shaped escutcheon engraved with the Dholpur crest including 3/4in. rubber recoil pad (distressed), fore-end with grip-catch release lever

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.