June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, coosa, cable, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 331 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,623
Posts547,092
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Working on this Spanish .410--the fired primers are cratered, and bulge into the breech, making it difficult to open. Never saw this before, was thinking something is raising pressures, but the chambers are 3". Hammers not hitting hard enough? No problems setting off primers, but the fired primers have the firing pin dent pushed into the breech face just enough to drag upon opening. Help!

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you experienced the same problem with new shells from various manufacturers?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting question...just have new Remington on hand here, but I do have two or three 4-5 yr old Winnies. Will try one. Also will try polishing the forcing cones--some roughness there.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Sidelock

Off face?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The sticky may very well just be a dirty chamber. I have had that occur on a couple of shotguns bought used. One was so hard opening I had to bend it over my knee. Scrubbed the bore with a wad of scotchbrite green wrapped on the end of a cleaning rod and powered by a hand drill. The sticking is gone. Same with a semi auto - shells were just not ejecting. Cheap quick fix in both cases.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Polished the chambers already. Noticed that a Wolf berdan primed slug load opened fine, and a normal looking indent, no crater or bulge. Will try the Winchester tomorrow. Can't find 7 1/2 loads around here, and some nitwit loaded up the shelf at Dick's Sports with 2 1/2" #6, no 3"!!

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

SOMETIMES the firing pin holes are too large and the pin does
not fill the hole allowing the primer flow back and causing the
action to stick.

Kinda like having to bush the face on a Martini Cadet when barreling to 218 Bee or so.

What is the diameter of the holes?
What is the shank diameter of the firing pins?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 04/15/14 07:49 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny thing XS ,I was working on a Spanish sxs 20 gauge the gun wouldent fire on one side and the gun looked basically unused ,with the exception of a broken /repaired wrist ,I've done everything with this little #$%#@ ,changed springs ,new firing pins ,polished all contact surfaces ...then yesterday it dawned on me to look at the rim recess lo and behold the case rim sits below the breech just a fraction ,if the shell is lodged in just so it go's bang and the primer backs out ,if it don't you get just a slight mark on the primer and obviously nothing ...she locks up tighter than a frogs arse,so I'm pretty sure I nailed it ...I guess the previous owner got so sick of the misfire's he wrapped the stock around the nearest tree whistle

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You might be right, newf. The rim recesses are kinda deep, but the extractor recesses are almost normal. Last resort, I have 2 .410 barrels from Numrich's bargain bin(I really miss that bargain bin!) that I can cut sleeves from, and reline the chambers. Egad, what have I gotten into. Good thing, I retired from my EE consulting job 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the input.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another potential problem that I've seen in the past is the firing pin may not be retracting making the gun difficult to open and deforming the primer at the same time as well.
You may want to try cleaning and re-lubing to see if this helps.

BTW: Is the nitwit shelf stocker at Dick's Perhaps named Coumo? eek grin
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.