June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Pwog, Hugh Lomas, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,010
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I happen to live in Pa. I was born and raised in N.J. Also worked in N.J. until I retired in 2001 at age 55 with no penalty to my pension. Pa. happens to be a state that does not tax your pension. I do not have to file a tax form for myself. My wife still works (3 years younger) and that is the only reason we/she has to fill one out. I was fortunate enough that my company offered a 401K many years ago along with a pension. As of 2000 they no longer have a pension plan for new employees, only a 401K.
So in looking for a retirement area, I would look into states that do not tax your pension.
As Chuck H was saying, I have been to Florida in April quite a few times, relatives, weather one day is 90 with that much humidity, next day 70's and nice. Not for me, summer time 90's with that much humidity and don't go out of the house.
Had a co-worder retire to Scottsdale, Az. Says you do things in the morning by 9:30 a.m. and then stay in your house becasue it gets to 100+, yeah it's a dry heat, but it still is a 100+.
But it is all what you make out of it, and what you and your better half enjoy doing.

Last edited by JDW; 04/06/07 08:50 AM.

David

Forget Florida (Graveyard of the Atlantic)with its looming drinking water crisis (just like AZ, NV, CO and TX). My sister lives outside Phoenix and counters everyone who uses the words, "dry heat" with, "Yeah, just like a pizza oven." Coastal areas are in for a bad time as well, with global warming (yeah, its real) increasingly affecting population density (ground and suface water dries up, so coastal water suppliers go to desalination plants - expensive!). Severity of storms will increase, including tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. Stay away from all this and live somewhere inland in a temperate zone that, as JDW says, won't tax your retirement income. Things to think about while you're rock ptarmigan shooting in Iceland next season. KBM

boy al gork got to you

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was born and raised in PA and plan to retire here when the time comes. There is excellent hunting and fishing and the state is (at least for the time being) relatively gun friendly.

If you are willing to live out in the country (and I am), costs are pretty low. If you pick the right locations, there is good health care and plenty of culture (PA has an excellent state university system with plenty of interesting stuff going on).

There are negatives - the urban areas are all a mess, every one of them. The industrial base is gone and the state isn't business friendly (not a particular concern if you are retired and aren't looking for a job) and its population is aging. I suspect it will have serious financial problems in the future.

However, negatives notwithstanding, I expect to finish out my days here, hopefully with either a fly rod or a shotgun in hand or a pack on my back walking the thousands of miles of public trails.

Time will tell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
I was born and raised in PA and plan to retire here when the time comes. There is excellent hunting and fishing and the state is (at least for the time being) relatively gun friendly.

If you are willing to live out in the country (and I am), costs are pretty low. If you pick the right locations, there is good health care and plenty of culture (PA has an excellent state university system with plenty of interesting stuff going on).

There are negatives - the urban areas are all a mess, every one of them. The industrial base is gone and the state isn't business friendly (not a particular concern if you are retired and aren't looking for a job) and its population is aging. I suspect it will have serious financial problems in the future.

However, negatives notwithstanding, I expect to finish out my days here, hopefully with either a fly rod or a shotgun in hand or a pack on my back walking the thousands of miles of public trails.

Time will tell.

Exactly why I retired here from Florida. Getting used to the weather was tough, but fall was spectacular! Very gun friendly. During the winter I went to a gun show every weekend. Love it here.

You might take a look at Peachtree City, Georgia. About 35,000 people, 35 miles southwest of Atlanta. It's a golf cart path community, but the path system isn't limited to neighborhoods - goes everywhere in town, and just about everyone has a cart. The town is built around three golf courses, and the schools are good. The result is a sizeable retirement community mixed with a lot of families. There's good shooting 30 minutes or so away in Griffin (Cherokee Rose) and Gay (Big Red Oak Plantation), and you're close enough to Atlanta to get there when you want. Worth a look.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.