September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (JulesW, MattH, shrapnel, Reidy, R Reynolds, 1 invisible), 487 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,868
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend has a 16 ga. Pieper Arms sxs Hammer gun for sale. It has Modified Diana stamped on the right barrel and Laminated Steel on the left barrel. Number 062xx on the frame and barrels. Also number 143 on barrels and frame. There is a diamond with 16 over a "C" on both barrels that my friend said means it has been proofed with cordite smokeless powder.

It appears to be in good condition with no pitting in the bores. Tight lock up and the barrels ring like church barrels. Some dings on the wood but no cracks. Checkering is sharp and there is a still a little color on the side plates. He is asking $600.

1. Any idea when it might have been made?
2. Would it be safe to shoot with 2-1/2" "low pressure" shells?
3 Any idea what it might be worth (sorry, but I don't have any photos)

Last edited by BarkeyVA; 08/18/14 10:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 16 in a diamond is a pre-1924 mark simply meaning 16g. There are other marks on the action and barrel flats that provide more information. Smokeless proof is indicated by a stylized Lion over PV stamp.
This might help
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=295608
The barrels are no doubt Twist, and no one on the internet can tell you if they are safe to use, with any load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As already mentioned, safety can't be guaranteed without first hand inspection of the gun. No pitting in the bores of a gun that age could be a red flag in itself. It has two possible meanings, one being that it has been well looked after through the years or two, the bores have been honed out. Hopefully it is the first but measurements of the bores and barrel wall thickness will provide some answers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There should be a marking on each barrel showing bore size in mm's at time of proof. "Nominal" 16 ga size (.662") would be 16.8 & may use a comma rather than decimal point. 16.8/25.4 gives .661" while 16.9/25.4 gives .665". You can compare the marking with current bore size to determine the extent, if any, of which it may have been honed.
As Drew mentioned the C has no reference at all to "Cordite", in fact it is very doubtful if cordite was ever used in a shotgun, it being primarily a Rifle propellant. Barrels of this era were marked for both bore size & Chamber "C" size. You may find guns with a 16 chamber having bore sizes from 15 to 17 or more.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun is among 40 or 50 other guns, including several drillings, from a collector's estate that my friend is selling for the family. This gun was probably stored in a safe for many years, but no idea what might have been done to it.

I'll definitely look for the lion over PV mark. Also read that the lion over SCH and EC are also a smokeless powder proof mark.

Still curious how much this gun might be worth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to work in a gunshop: A fellow I learned a lot from would say to customers: "I've got a '57 chevy....what's it worth?"
Of course, what he meant was, that without seeing the gun, or pictures, it is just impossible to estimate the value.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Again, it appears to be in good condition with no pitting in the bores. Tight lock up and the barrels ring like church barrels. Some dings on the wood but no cracks. Checkering is sharp. Good finish and no rust on the barrels and there is a still a little color on the side plates.

I realize value is in the eyes of the beholder and is dictated by what a buyer wants to pay and the seller is willing to accept.

So, that said, what would one expect to pay for an early 1900's 16 ga. Pieper sxs hammer gun with laminated steel barrels in good condition?

Sidelock
Sidelock

$500-$600 +/- is about all these old hammer guns go for. The public looks at the laminated steel and hammers and runs screaming into the weeds.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'Modified Diana' Pieper was sold for many years by the major retailers.

Montgomery Ward 1895 catalog

Sears, Roebuck & Co. 1907 catalog

Interesting that the 1907 catalog, which offered lots of pattern welded and faux Damascus barreled guns had this notice: "Every gun we offer for sale...is made to stand any proper load of nitro or black powder..."

So much for the "Damascus barrels were only intended to be shot with black powder" myth wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.