September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, Drew Hause, Travis S, FelixD), 402 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,907
Posts550,629
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought an English double rifle that sometime before had the buttstock replaced. Nice job, but the finish is too light and does not match the forend. How can I darken the stock without removing the current finish? I could strip the forend and refinish so it would be lighter, but I like the dark finish. I don't know what finish is on it now, looks like an oil finish though. Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Use an alcohol base stain. It should penetrate the finish unless it is a poly type finish. It may need several applications to reach the color you are looking for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Twice Barrel said, use a spirit based stain. I've had reasonably good results with Pilkinton's English Red & Pre 64 stains mixed together to get the look I want. Pilkington also has a Red Brown oil that can be used to give a darker red tone on too light oil finished wood.

Pilkington's products are available from Brownells & Midway. I would guess that there are other commercial spirit based stains available that will accomplish the same result @ lower cost but I've had good results with Pilkington's & have continued to use it for years. It will penetrate most finishes but not polyurethane. They also have a thinner which allows you to remove most of the stain if you feel the need to lighten the color.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary

The standard Brit finish for adding colour if the gun is vintage is "Red Oil" This is made from Linseed oil coloured with Alkanet.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Timberluxe stain is alcohol based.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures may help; is it possible the forend is just darkened from being oil soaked? many older guns are that way. I have personally used acetone and white spirit to remove oil usually just sit the forend in a pint glass full of it for a week.If that does lighten enough i have heard of people use bleach to lighten wood, to good effect.

Surely it is easier to lighten the for end than risk ruining or stripping the finish on the butt stock. At least then if it goes wrong you only have to re finish a for end and not the entire but stock.

If you are still considering darkening the butt stock. I use alkanet root in my stains, but usually this is on raw un oiled timber. First coats are a mixture of alkanet root, acetone, and linseed oil, which makes a thin mixture. After a few coats of this i go to straight BLO with alkanet. After a few coats of this i use my standard BLO mixture. In my experience this will not penetrate through an existing finish and needs to be applied to stripped wood.

I have never heard of using alcohol based stains over an oiled finish, i would have thought this would strip the finish rather than stain the wood.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, great ideas! I remembered that I had some Pilkintons English Red and applied about 3 coats to the stock. It did darken the stock and it looks much better. I might try lightening the forend to see if I can get it to match. The forend does seemed to be somewhat oil soaked.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.